[08] I LOVE YOU

While him and his granddaughter sit down at the table, watching old videos of his wife, Walter receives a phone call

While him and his granddaughter sit down at the table, watching old videos of his wife, Walter receives a phone call. "Hello? Yes. Yes it is." He pauses for a moment, beginning to cry.

"Oh. Oh. That's wonderful. Is Mabel okay? Yeah, yeah. Mabel." He chuckles. "Yes.  Oh that's great. No, no, no, no problem. I can meet you anywhere. Yes, yes. I know it well. That's fantastic, yes. I am so happy." He exhales in relief, hanging up.

Taya can't help but smile, wrapping her grandfather in a tight hug.

***

"Mr. Chapman." Walter greets as they arrive at the park. "Walter. Hey, hello." Mr. Chapman smiles. "Oh! You're Taya, right? I think I teach you in English." He realizes.

"Yeah." She smiles. "I've heard such great things about you, Walter. From Taya, and Tyler." He adds. "Likewise." Walter nods.

"They're good kids." He agrees. "They're great kids. Oh! Uh, this stuff is for you here. We just picked up a couple of things so the dog would be more comfortable." He explains, handing him a few bags.

They follow through to where Mabel is playing with Mr. Chapman's wife and their daughter. "Mabel." Walter mutters, making his way to take a seat on the bench.

When Mabel sees the two, she runs to them in excitement. "Hey." They greet. "Well, don't you look slim and trim." Walter comments.

"Well, hello." He looks up at the little girl in front of him. "What's your name?" He asks. "Amelia Chapman." She responds.

"Have you been taking care of this dog, Amelia? Feeding her and walking her?" He inquires. "Why, yes I have." She nods, swinging her arms around.

"She looks so happy. You must be doing a great job." He commends. He then takes a look back at Mabel, smiling sadly.

"Well, sweetie, I think it's probably time we should say goodbye to the doggy. So she could go back home." Mr. Chapman tells.

"Oh, Um. We were wondering if we could visit your dog every once in a while." The woman requests. Taya glances at her grandfather, waiting for an answer.

"I don't think so." He says hesitantly. "Oh, okay. I just thought—"

"No, Uh— you misunderstood me. I don't think you'll be able to visit because there's been a mistake." He explains, causing Taya to furrow her eyebrows. "This isn't my dog."

"I'm sorry, what?" The woman questions. "I'd say this is your dog." He smiles to Amelia. "Walter, you don't have to do that." Mr. Chapman shakes his head.

"What a lucky dog, to have such a sweet family." Walter encourages. "I don't know what to say." Mr. Chapman responds in shock.

"There's nothing to say. Just misunderstanding, is all." Walter nods. "Well, the dog seems to like you a lot so, if you'd like, you know, we could meet up in the park Sometimes." They offer.

"We'd like that." Taya cuts in with a kind smile. "Is that okay with you?" Walter asks Amelia. "Of course."

"Alright, well." He stands up. "I know you don't know me, but.. thank you." Mrs. Chapman says happily, pulling the man into a hug.

"You're welcome." He nods. "Enjoy." He adds. "Come along, Taya. I think Pizza Boy's waiting for you." Walter jokes, leading the girl away.

***

ONE YEAR LATER

While Taya sits, watching TV, Tyler walks up from behind her. "Boo!" He shouts, causing her to jump. "Jesus, Tyler! What is wrong with you?" She turns back to look at him, slapping his arm.

"Come on, let's go outside." He urges, pulling her out to the backyard, where many other people stood, looking around at the dogs.

After New Tricks hadn't quite been able to find a new building, Walter had agreed to be the new home for all the dogs, which Taya agreed to right away.

Tyler smiles go his girlfriend of one year, lacing their fingers together. "We gotta feed the dogs." He says, handing her a bag.

While they walk towards the dogs, Tera stops them. "Oh. Don't feed Darla. Her tummy's upset." She warns.

"Hey, Old Man." Tyler nods to Walter as they pass by him. "Wise guy." Walter rolls his eyes.

"Hi, Grandpa." Taya nods to him.

After feeding the dogs, they take a seat beside one of the labradors, the dog practically attacking Tyler's face excitedly with kisses.

"Aww." Taya smiles while the boy laughs, attempting to push the dog away. "God, I wish I could adopt this little guy." He comments, watching as the dog runs off to someone else.

Taya hums in response, smiling at him. "What?" He chuckles. "Nothing." She shrugs. "I just love you." She grins.

"I love you, too, Tay-Tay." He smirks, leaning into kiss her, but they are quickly stopped by another dog cutting in, licking Tyler's face.

He groans, closing his mouth. Taya laughs, standing up, pulling Tyler up as well. "The dogs really love you, don't they?" She grins.

Tyler wipes his face with his shirt. "Okay, now, where were we?" He smirks. "I think you know." She laughs, cupping his cheeks, and connecting their lips.

Authors note

Yes, this book was short, but it's over now
:( I finished this in two days haha but thank you so so much for the support this far, which is pretty awesome considering I only started this two days ago.
Stay tuned for more book!!