Seven

"Have you considered that maybe you could use a break from the dating scene? Go a little slow, find out what you want in a man?"

"Of course not. Are you trying to say there's a pattern?" When Shirley chooses to put it that way, it sounds like I am judging her taste in men.

"That its my fault I end up with assholes?" She repeats when I don't answer.

"I am not implying anything. I am just saying your heart has been through a lot. Maybe you deserve a break."

" I don't know, Katie. My sixth sense told me he was going to propose in the next six months. He would have made a wonderful husband. I am not growing any younger, you know that right?"

" Love, I am also turn twenty four in December and do you see me getting worked up about that crap?" I try to reassure her.

I have never understood my best friend's timeline when it comes to marriage and settling. With Ollie I always figured we would date a while longer until when we have both reached twenty seven and realize we want to date other people and have a neat break up. Or we would have real break ups in between and still find our way back to one another. We were after all, the power couple.

"No. How would you relate? You had a steady boyfriend who would have proposed to you anytime soon. There is still a chance you two will make up."

"How many times do I have you tell you he was, I insist on the past tense, not my soul mate?" I loved Ollie with every fiber of my being alright but I did not envisage a future as his wife. It's no doubt he would make the perfect husband but somehow marriage did not come up in any our conversations before.

"How do you define a soul mate? In my experience, the definition of an ideal partner would be one who is responsible, does not sleep with other women within a two feet radius and makes you a priority. He supports you because he sees you in his future. For all I know, Ollie is all of the above. He still calls your mom for crying out loud."

How did we get here in the first place? Having Shirley read me the riot act is not exactly how I planned my evening. I want to plead the Fifth but choose to set the record straight. I can't have Shirley comparing her love life with mine.

"Yes. He called me because deep down he feels guilty for leaving me to figure out life on my own. I might be a little inexperienced in the dating scene but I think it's common knowledge that if there is no spark ,no matter how much the other person loves you or how perfect they are, they are not your soul mate."

"You are right. I hope this break reignites the chemistry between you two. Distance makes the heart fonder, they say. I would like for you not to end up like me, used and still single."

This is my cue to distract her. Shirley will go on and on about how she is unlucky in love.

" This pity party is over, miss. How about I microwave us some pop corn and we watch another episode of Law and Order?"

"Okay, let me borrow your ugly pajamas."

"Stop insulting my P'Js and get your butt here, I am not hitting pause." I say after her as she trots towards my bedroom