Sixteen

I am on a call with Shirley on Wednesday evening when  she asks me about Christian that I recall that he has been offline for four days in a row.

" He ghosted me. We have been talking for three weeks then suddenly he is offline. I would like to think that I dodged a bullet.”

"Haha. What happened? You should have sent me screenshots of your conversations we over analyze together."

" Helpful. The thing is, he just went offline you know, not like just leaving me on read and stuff. Its either something happened bad happened to him or he realized I aint shit and he would be better of fake flirting with actual rich girls”.

I tend to believe the later is a huge possibility. I mean I did tell the man I am unemployed and my parents are not so amused with my decisions right now.

“You say I don't see people for who they are but I don't think his intentions were to the extreme," Shirley rushes to say. "The poor guy did not remarry so he must be really lonely and online dating happens to be the go to these days.”

“Whatever. Have you heard from Eddie?"

"He has been trying to reach me but I blocked him. I have not replied to a single one of his texts.”   

“Good."

I know this must be hard for her to not communicate with Eddie.   

 “Katie, I think I should meet him one last time for closure. For the both of us. I have not stopped thinking about him.”

“Closure is overrated. If you meet him when you are still heartbroken, you would be back to where you started. The effort you made in the last few weeks would be all for nothing."

A few seconds pass before Shirley gathers herself. “How do you do it? You stopped whinnying about Oliver and I am yet to see you send him a risky text.”

 "Self discipline, Shirley. You need that to heal," I conclude our conversation.

It's no use telling her that I almost sent him a text this morning. I am still thinking about it. Of course he will reply. He is not that mean. What truly nags me is that I am afraid if we start talking again, I will have to be honest and plainly admit that I have not made any progress.

No woman wants her ex to know she is not faring well after a break up. I mean, isn't that the point of posting inspirational quotes and pictures of you and your current crush on social media?

 I could worry about Oliver later.

Right now, I need to cancel tomorrows interview and make a risky call to mom. I hope the deal she made with Alex still stands. I already know her response though, the deal she made was between her and Alex and where am I suddenly getting the inspiration to go back to school? But I could try, maybe she could have a change of heart.

Or like how Jess likes to put it, you don't give up without trying.  I know we don't know each other too well but wish me luck.