Chapter 8

(Time skip: Two days pass, night time)

Addison's P.O.V

I was in darkness for a little while, my eyes not listening to me as I try to open them. There was a rhythmic beeping sound nearby and I was able to feel my hand being continuously rubbed by something soft. When I felt something rub against my upper arm I was able to break out of my sleepiness and open my eyes.

The room was slightly dimmed, clearly showing it was dark outside the windows. The small tv in the corner was also on and illuminating a small part of the plain room. I looked down to see that I was in a night gown and a hospital bed, then looked off to the side to see Jace was the one holding my hand and his forehead was rubbing against my arm. He was quiet except for the few small and choked cries he allowed escape his mouth.

"J-Jace?" I whispered, my voice hoarse from waking up.

His head shot up within a second, allowing me to see his bright blue eyes sparkling as he realized I was awake, "Aspen!"

He stood up from the chair he was sitting on and leaned over, giving me another one of his warm hugs as he kissed my head. I was happy to hold onto him again but the deep ache in my side ruined the moment, causing me to groan out in pain and sink back into my bed.

"Are you okay?" He asked, brushing his fingers through my hair.

"What...what happened to me?"

"You don't remember?"

I shook my head, moving my hand to my side where I felt under my hospital gown the thick bandages wrapped around my waist. I tried to remember what happened but the memory was just a blur. I remember feeling sad but happy, the force of my injury and the hatred in Layla's eyes but really nothing else.

"Layla had shot you but one of the officers there managed to hit Layla's leg just before she fired at you so the bullet ended up just going through your side. Layla is in jail now, probably for the rest of her life."

"How did the officers get there?"

Jace grinned proudly, "While Layla was talking to your parents I texted 911. Luckily Layla or Blake didn't see me."

"Blake?" I suddenly remembered, "What happened to Blake? Where is he?"

"You don't remember that either? Blake is...he is dead."

Everything froze in that moment, "What?"

"One of the officers shot him."

It was then I remembered how Blake dropped to the ground, when I held his face as he took his last breath. I placed my hand over my mouth to hide my sobs although it was clear to Jace that I was upset.

We had a few moments of silence, Jace stroking my hair to comfort me. Since I remembered what happened with Blake I couldn't get his paling face out of my mind.

My parents then came into the room, momentarily disrupting my thoughts which I was grateful for. They were relieved to see me awake, hugging me gently to avoid hurting my side as they peppered my face in many kisses.

"We are so sorry sweetheart that this happened to you." Dad says in a gentle voice.

Mom on the other hand was tearing up, "You were asleep for two days, I was afraid you weren't going wake up."

We stayed like that for a while, the three people in my life who loved me to the end of their days, all surrounded me. We relaxed and watched what was ever on tv. They did everything they could to keep my mind on happy places which only worked a little. I still couldn't get Blake's face out of my mind but I was finally free from them. I was free.

Later that night my parents decided to leave so they could get some proper sleep. Jace stayed by my side though, watching an old tv show with me as he sat in a chair next to my bed and he never let go of my hand. I was worried about him though, hoping he was comfortable and getting enough sleep. He turned down my parents when they asked him to come with them which I was happy about because he stayed with me but it seemed strange.

I turned to him, "Why didn't you go back to with my parents when they asked?"

"Because..." He paused for a second, like he was hesitant to say something but then said it anyway, "I wanted to spend as much time as I can with you before I...left."

I turned more towards him as best as I could, "What do you mean? Where are you going?"

"Well, my parents came home yesterday and realized I wasn't there so they called me. It was kind of an interesting conversation to explain that I was across the country."

I giggled, "I bet."

"But they scheduled me for a plane ticket to go back tomorrow."

In that moment my heart stopped, almost hurting as I heard Jace would be leaving me, "But...why?"

"I still have school and that's where my family is. I can't stay here."

"But you can't leave-"

"I know I know, and I don't want to. I really love you Aspen."

In this growing tender moment he pressed his forehead against mine, feeling like we were connecting to each other. I felt his nose rub to mine in a sweet bunny kiss that almost brought me to tears because soon we wouldn't have this anymore. We would be a thousand miles away from any kind of loving touches or the kisses we wouldn't be able to share.

But I pushed those thoughts away, trying so hard not to think about when the next time we would even see each other, to hold each other again. Jace and I relished in this feeling together when we are together, holding onto it for as long as possible. But of course sleep got to us first, making the next day come faster and our separation closer.

Thank you for reading! Please comment and tell me what you think.