27: Hostage

Flashback starts
20 years ago during the night Mi Na healed Chaeyoung

Mi Na was walking casually with her arms folded on her back, taking her free time to have a little stroll around the city since she was having no duties for now. She was alone, alone like she had always wanted to be. She didn't have time nor interest to meet anyone at the moment. Mr. Lee was instructed by her to stay and manage the hotel while she would go out for a while.

"Such a simple night." Mi Na breathed out lazily, eyes wandering around the crowded city, looking at many couples walking past her as they were busying themselves being all lovey doveys. "Sickens me." she cringed seeing such romance and shook her head rapidly. She then arrived at a place near Han River as she wanted to spend her time admiring the beautiful river. She loved seeing these kinds of view.

The view of the river flowing smoothly eased her troubled and absurd mind. She needed some refreshing relaxation, and at least this gave her the feeling of it, even if not so helping after all. She hears footsteps coming beside her and turned to see who it was.

"Old gramps." Mi Na scoffed when she saw Dalnim standing beside her with a smile, appearing in the form of an elderly woman with a bag of flowers on her back. "Why are you here? Just returning from giving flowers to the dead?" she rolled her eyes and folded her arms grumpily. Until now she still had a grudge for the goddess for cursing her. Dalnim nodded slowly with a grin and exhaled calmly.

"You have a classy type for seeing views." Dalnim chuckled. "What about you? What are you doing here all of a sudden? Of all the royal places you could have visited, you chose to visit a simple riverside, admiring the astonishing view of Han River." she clicked her tongue. Mi Na let out a small sigh and looked down.

"When I was young, way before you put this damn curse on me, I was also a little girl, just like every lady was." she breathed out. "I had two sisters, I was the middle one." Mi Na answered plainly. "My older sister was the most passive and calm among us three. She liked to bring the both of us near the river whenever we had free time. She liked to see the riverview, and then I loved seeing it too. After I lost both of them, I always looked at the river to remind myself of the memories I have spent with them." she smiled bitterly. Dalnim was quite touched with the story she told, but she remained professional as a goddess and only breathed calmly.

Soon, the sounds of a little girl laughing caught Mi Na's attention, and both the lady and the goddess turned to their left to see who was making such joyous noises. Dalnim seemed to be smiling when she turned to her left.

They spotted a little girl who was squealing excitedly as she saw a middle-aged man walking right up to her with a friendly smile. Mi Na became curious and continued looking, occasionally squinting her eyes as if she was trying to recognize the girl. Dalnim looked at Mi Na and smiled.

"Appa! Appa!" the little girl who was four years old squealed. The middle-aged man chuckled while smiling and caressed her head as he held her shoulder.

"Aigoo, my little girl's so good, sitting here while waiting for me." he grinned and they hugged again. The two of them then shared a comfortable silence as the father and daughter together shared a glance at Han River. "Mianhae, appa didn't have enough money to buy a birthday present for you." he sighed and looked down. His daughter, being an understanding person, nodded while smiling.

"Gwaenchana appa, we can celebrate it at home by eating rice cakes." she said. A couple walked past them while talking to each other, before suddenly a wallet dropped from the man's grasp without his notice, falling to the ground. The girl's father saw it and immediately grabbed the wallet as he looked at the money.