"Thank you"

"I wanted to thank you."

"Pardon?" I slipped. I was surprised.

W-what? I-I have never even imagined something like that could have happened. Jojo... Thanking me? This is new, but also VERY surprising. What does he want to thank me for?

"Uh... Well... You see, I was a bit afraid when you came actually," he said a little embarrassed with an awkward smile. It was hard for him to keep eye contact with me. He was looking once at the floor and once at me for a second.

"What? Why?" I was looking at him still confused.

He was looking rather happy. Than why... I-I didn't do anything then yet! Why would he be scared of me? Last time, I could be looking frightfully on my first impression, but now? I just normally walked out of the carriage.

"Before you arrived, I had been thinking. 'What if we won't get along?' Or 'What if you won't like me?' And other things like that," Jojo said, this time only looking at the floor. He seemed worried.

...He... Really was thinking like that back then...?

There's still a chance that Jojo knows everything...

If that's the case... He could be lying to me right now. I shouldn't take everything for granted! I, Dio, am not going to fool myself like that!

There is no way that he and I could become real friends. He back then probably was thinking something like that he'll get another spoiled brat as a brother and play with him and his stupid dog. Such a pity for him that I, Dio, am better than this.

Even if he really was thinking like that... It wouldn't matter. Why would it? It's useless. It's not my fault, he didn't get what he wanted. Not everyone can get what they want.

But...

There's a probability that Jonathan really doesn't know anything. If he was having doubts... That's not good, but I can handle this.

"But," he continued. "I'm glad it's you, I think everything will be alright!" Jojo smiled and looked up at me. He was staring right into my eyes. They were shining.

This calm face, this innocent aura... What is this feeling? I feel... Relaxed? No, I'm not relaxed. Probably these whole new events affect me like that.

Dio! Get yourself together!

This being human is making me weak.

I hate it.

"You wanted to thank me right? Can I know for what?"

"Oh, right," he started. "For everything you did for me. Every time, I thought that you may laugh at me, but you didn't. Aside from that, you even helped me. I can't tell how grateful I am to you."

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I? I'm soo happy I got to live with someone like you!" Jojo said cheerfully.

"You... Like me being here?" I asked calmly.

He nodded happily.

Is... Is he serious?

This...

This was...

This was truly easy!