7

Copyright 2013-2014

~S.

Mari (and Cassie and Justin)

            “So who’s Marianna?”

            Mari glanced at Cassie through one of the mirrors in the back of the limo, begging her to keep her mouth shut. Cassie smirked and looked out the window.

            “Marianna?” Mari asked.

            Justin looked over at her. “This girl I saw at the Ritz Carlton this morning. She looked exactly like you.”

            Mari looked at him, eyebrows raised. “How did she look like me?”

            “She had green eyes—,”

            “A lot of girls do.”

            “And a really annoying mom—,”

            “This is California.”

            “And her hair,” he reached over, pulled out her ponytail holder, and ran his fingers through her curls, “looked just like the Mane.” He moved across the seat, lay down next to her, and put his head in her lap. “I’d know the Mane anywhere, Mari.”

            A thousand electric volts surged through her when he said her name. Empowerment.

            “Marianna is my full name,” she said. “It’s the only name—and life—my mom knows. Everybody else knows Mari.”  

            “Is that why she dresses differently?”

            “And acts differently, and talks differently, and is differently.”

            Justin nodded thoughtfully. “Because of your mom.”

            “Because of my mom.”

            Cassie looked at Mari and took her hand. “She’ll come around. Your dad did.”

            “Only because Landon and Amanda made him.”      

            Justin smiled. “If you’re Mari because of your mom, why is Cassie Cassandra?”

            Perceptive.

            “Because of Mari,” Cassie said dryly. “She’s crazy.”

            He sat up and took Mari’s face in his hands. “She’s amazing.”

            Cassie smiled in spite of herself. “That she is.”

            Because Cassie always thinks Mari is amazing. Even when it means agreeing with Justin.