Chapter IX

In as much as Jennie was going through something delicate that made her want to spend all day in bed and continue crying where she left off, she had a job to attend to so that alone made her reluctantly stood up from her bed as soon as her alarm buzzed. She did her morning rituals, changed into professional wear and made her way out of her apartment.

Jennie was mute all day. She only opened her mouth to give one-word instructions or one-word answers. She was happy the work she had to do made her forget about the pregnancy, even though it was only for a while.

She had her cousin order lunch for her. Fortunately, she had some appetite today and she shed a tear when she remembered the food she was eating will be split into two. Half will go to the little human growing in her. She could not believe a baby was growing inside her and most of all she knew nothing about being a mother.

After lunch, Jennie buried herself with work-related matters and eventually left the office at 7:40 pm. For some unknown reason, she felt like eating Chinese food so she made a stop at a Chinese restaurant and ordered some take away.

Jennie let out a sigh as soon as she saw Jisoo's car parked outside her apartment. Since she found out about the pregnancy, she refused to answer anybody's call that wasn't work-related and she had no doubt that was why Jisoo, her best friend was at her place. She was definitely worried about her.

As soon Jennie unlocked her door, she came face to face with Jisoo who had her arms folded with a worried face.

Jisoo was about to lash out on Jennie for ignoring her calls which made her worried but she swallowed her words when she took in Jennie's appearance.

Her eyes were swollen and she looked pretty tired. She wasn't looking like her usual cheerful self. 

Jisoo paved the way for her to come on and then shut the door behind her. Jennie placed her handbag on one of the sofas in the living room and made her way to the kitchen where she placed the Chinese she bought on the counter. Then she made her way back to the living room to join Jisoo.

"I was really worried about you. For a while, I thought I did something that made you mad at me."

"If there's anyone I'm mad at right now. It will be myself. I can never be mad at you Jisoo." She said with heavy tears.

"Then what is wrong? Did Lisa hurt you again?" Jisoo asked concerned as she took her best friend's hand in hers.

A tear rolled down Jennie's cheek which she wiped off immediately with the back of her palm. She was thinking of what to say to Jisoo.

Jennie's reaction only made Jisoo more worried.

"My life has been a mess since the day Kai broke up with me and it couldn't get any worse now."

With a worried face, Jisoo nodded, encouraging Jennie to continue what she was saying. 

Jennie swallowed painfully in tears. "I...Lisa...tha...at night...Jisoo, I'm pregnant." She said before burying her face in Jisoo's chest and crying her eyes out.

Shocked would be an understatement to describe Jisoo's reaction. She sat still for a while, replaying what Jennie said.

She came back to reality and consoled her best friend who was sobbing against her chest. 

She patted her back. "Please calm down Jennie, I know this is unexpected but crying won't solve anything."

Jennie removed her head from Jisoo's chest. "Why is life being unfair to me? It was just a one night stand and here I am expecting a baby of your so-called cruel cousin."