Chapter Thirty Nine

Karly sat there with Kyle looking at Luke after he told them he was in the mafia.

"Mafia?" Karly asked.

"So what do you do?" Kyle asked.

"I own two nightclubs here in the city, I sell guns, ammo, and vests to the NYPD, nothing illegal, I do work with the cops," Luke said.

"Oh god, you know Detective Reagan, don't you," Karly said.

"Yeah, he came to me the other day with a request, to take care of an abuser, so I did," Luke said.

"Oh god," Karly said.

"Did he say exactly who and why?" Kyle asked.

"The guy's name was Jason, he put his ex...oh god, Karly, he put you in the hospital didn't he," Luke said.

"Yeah," Karly said.

"Oh man, well okay he's been taken care of so you don't need to worry about him coming for you ever again, you are free of him," Luke said.

"Thank you," Karly said.

"Still on for the date?" Luke asked.

"Yes, two weeks from today, seven pm," Karly said.

"So me being in the mafia doesn't scare you away?" Luke asked.

"Nope, you know what, how about moving the date up to tomorrow night, seven?" Karly asked.

"It's a date, but are you going to feel up to it?" Luke asked.

"I'll rest as soon as as I get back until it's time," Karly said. She gives him the address of her dad's house.. Kevin comes back in and sits down.

"I have to ask, are you guys just partners here at the agency?" Luke asked.

"He's my ex-boyfriend from college, we broke up as friends as we have stayed that way," Karly said.

"I got an internship in Paris for photography and her mom got diagnosed with cancer so she couldn't go with me so we broke up, we could have gotten back together when I got back but we felt that our relationship had ran its course so we decided to stay friends," Kevin said.

"Oh well I've never seen two exes remain friends," Luke said.

"It's worked so far," Karly said.

"I better get going, I will see you tomorrow night," Luke said. He smiled and winked at her before going out the door. Kevin looked at Karly.

"Tomorrow night?" Kevin asked.

"She moved up their date to tomorrow," Kyle said.

"Oh," Kevin said.

"Kev," Karly said.

"It's fine, just want to make sure you will feel up to it," Kevin said.

"I'm going to go rest now and will rest until it's time," Karly said.

"Okay beautiful, take care, okay I got everything under control here," Kevin said. She waved bye and Kyle took her to their dad's house and got her settled in bed.

"Sis, do you have anything to wear for tomorrow night?" Kyle asked.

"No, I need stuff from my apartment," Karly said.

"Let me know what you need and I'll go get it all," Kyle said. She told him all that she needed and he left. She curled up and went to sleep.