18. Memories

The water lulled her into a near sleep.

Natalia leaned her head back on the cushion and closed her eyes. The quiet singing she almost heard whenever she soaked in water sounded louder than usual. Natalia enjoyed it absently.

Her mind drifted, memories seeped in, and she let them flow. Happy childhood memories of baths and water transitioned to something else.

Lukas as a boy, then later as a young man, then as her lover, husband, and bondmate, his disappearance, his betrayal, the deaths of all she knew.

Next, her thoughts moved to her capture, the brutality of the Queen's guards, and the child's end that stopped it for a while. It was the loss that saved her life.

Then, the priestesses displayed a different kind of cruelty. The merciless hands of temple guards, careful not to touch her flesh. The forced Earth bond. A loss of herself, her sense of ownership of her body, her mind.

Tender hands landed on her shoulders; her heart rate slowed. The memories faded as her eyes opened, and she met Raja's concerned brown ones.

"I felt your distress; I waited as long as possible." He looked embarrassed, and he took his hands away.

"Thank you," She noted he only wore trousers. "Did I wake you?"

"No, I couldn't sleep." He handed her a towel and helped her out of the cooling bath. "But we should try again; I believe we have some time before dinner. I could lay with you for a while."

"Yes, that would be nice. I am not sure I can fall asleep without you right now." Her words were honest, and she felt guilty that his presence brought her peace. She hated that she needed anyone.

===============================

After receiving no response to her light knock, Soyun opened the mistress' room door, expecting to find the lady had fallen asleep. But as she crossed the room to draw the curtain, a movement on the bed attracted her gaze. The tribesman lifted onto an elbow on the large bed in the middle of the room to watch her. The Master's new students slept together or had been before she woke Raja.

Unbidden, her eyes lingered on Raja's bare chest, enamored by his defined muscles and tanned skin. She couldn't help but admire him. Many attractive students came through the Vale, but in Soyun's opinion, Raja outshone them all. Embarrassed, her face heated, and she tore her eyes off him. She fanned herself with a hand, hoping he'd only think she was hot from climbing the stairs.

"Is dinner ready?" Raja sleepily inquired. His face was not betraying any knowledge of her admiration.

"Yes, mister Raja." She bowed with her hands together over her legs. Then finished drawing the curtains to let in the light. "The Master awaits."

"We will be down shortly; I will wake her." The girl understood the dismissal but surreptitiously watched him roll over to wake the skinny young mistress.

Soyun bowed to the young master and left to finish dinner preparations. Minho could bring them to the dining room; she didn't have time to wait.

==================================

Raja looked down at his bondmate. He could not describe what he felt when he watched her memories earlier. Raja had lain helpless for so long, not wanting to violate her privacy any more than he already was. But the last memories and the pain they had caused, he could not tolerate.

Was this what Red had saved her from? How had she survived until his arrival? And, more importantly, what did he feel for his new mate?

"Tali, they wait for us," he whispered in her ear. Her flinch and withdrawal from his touch injured him. Even as she relaxed, he felt her ambiguity toward him, which also caused him pain.