We can survive anything

Stevie sat at her vanity, brushing her hair for the last time, when Lindsey announced he was dressed and ready. She sighed and got up, rolling her eyes.

"What?" He was getting a little annoyed.

"You are about to walk your daughter down the aisle and you look like you put this suit on last night, went to a party and slept in it." She complained, fixing his lapel. She was very proud of herself because of the fact she got Lindsey to also wear a tie, which she was now tying for him from the start. "Seriously, how would you survive without me." 

"That wasn't a question, was it?" She shook her head and he laughed. "Good thing I don't have to think about it." 

"There. All better." She stepped back to admire her work only to be drawn in his arms again. 

"I did't get to thank you." He leaned for a kiss, but she stopped him.

"You'll ruin my lipstick."

"You'll apply it again." He didn't pay attention to her protest and kissed her lips. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." She replied, remaining in the same spot. He used it to his advantage and let his hands cup her behind through the dress she was wearing. "You're as horny as any teenager, Linds."

"I simply can't not touch you. Especially now, when you look absolutely smokin' hot!"

"That's crazy talk."

"Can we get married too?"

"We are married."

"Again, I mean."

"We can renew our vows."

"Let's do that."

"Why don't we save it for our twentieth anniversary?"

"Is that a promise?"

"If you still want it by then." She pecked him on the lips and pushed at his chest. "You need to go see Alice."

Lindsey left the room and went a few doors down the corridor. He knocked and was allowed to come in. "Oh my, Alice..."

"I look fat, don't I?" She asked, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"No! Don't be silly, I meant to say you look incredible." He was quick to calm her down. "And besides, sweetheart, you're pregnant, you're not fat."

"I don't think I can do this."

Lindsey walked over to his daughter and pulled her in a hug. "Yes, yes you can. You love Jeremy and he loves you, and you two are going to have a beautiful little baby soon. I understand you are nervous, but it will pass. Jeremy's out there waiting for you, but he's just as nervous as you are. You think your mother and I weren't? I was sure she wasn't going to show up. Both your grandfather and grandmother spent a good deal of time up in the room with her, convincing that we love each other and we have you, that marriage is the absolute right thing."

"Really?" Alice asked, as they held each other at arm's length. "I don't remember that."

"You were ten, I doubt you cared much of what was happening. And to answer your question, not that she would ever admit it to you now, but yes. She told me after, she had doubts, but once we said our I Do's, she felt never better."

"I can do this." Alice corrected her previous statement and asked Lindsey for another hug. "Ok. I think we can go now." She picked up her bouquet and laced her arm through his and they walked out.

All eyes were on the two people that just appeared outside. Alice had specifically asked for the melody of Landslide to be playing instead of the traditional wedding march. Alice's eyes locked with Jeremy's and Lindsey felt her tense up a little. He patted the top of her hand and gave her a reassuring smile. When they reached Jeremy, Lindsey faced Alice again then looked back to his soon to be son-in-law.

"Take good care of my daughter."

"Yes, Sir." Jeremy was eager to have her by his side now. He held out his hand and Alice took a hold of it, stepping up to stand next to him.

Lindsey didn't think he would be this emotional. He quickly located Stevie and took the empty seat next to her, circling his arm around her waist. "I love you." He whispered into her hair. She smiled at him, knowing exactly what he was feeling. 

"I love you, too."

The ceremony was beautiful. Lindsey was surprised at how well Stevie was holding up. He was sure she wouldn't stop crying, but it was almost the other way round, he was close to asking for a tissue. Stevie looked at him a few times, the so rarely shown sensitive side of him making her fall in love again. She couldn't resist giving him a couple of brief kisses.

After the newly married couple danced their first dance together and the cake was cut, they were sent off to their honeymoon. The guests went back inside, while Stevie stood there, her eyes on the car driving off as long as she could see it. Lindsey smiled, shaking his head, with his hand on the small of her back.

"Are you ok?"

"They're gone." She simply said.

"Yes, I saw the car disappear." Finally she let the tears spill. "Oh, baby..." He put his arms around her, soothing her. "Please, don't get upset. You knew this was how things were going to go."

"I know. I'm not sad, just... It's very real now."

"But think about that Alice is really happy now, Jeremy is a great guy. They make a wonderful couple."

"You're right." She nodded, wiping under her eyes, trying her best not to smudge her mascara. "She's so gorgeous and so smart, I'm lucky nobody snatched her away from me much sooner."

"Oh, stop that. You love to be dramatic." Lindsey laughed. "It's not like you won't ever see her again, Steph. They'll be gone for a very short while. And once they're back, you and Alice will go shopping for baby things, I know how much you want that."

"I do." She broke into a smile. "I want another baby, Lindsey."

"You what?!"

It was her turn to laugh. "I'm sorry, but your reaction was priceless."

"Because that's not something I hear from you every day!"

"I know. But seeing how much Alice loves that baby already, I remember when I was like her, you know..." 

"I get it. And I wish we could, but..."

"Yeah." She shrugged and a smile returned to her face. "It's not like we can't pretend we're trying really hard."

"My god do I love you!" 

"I hope that never changes." 

"You can count on that." He kissed her temple on their way back to the reception that was still in full swing. 

When they walked back to the rest of the guests, Lindsey lead them to the dance floor. He wasn't much of a dancer, but tonight was special and he wanted to keep Stevie happy. His hands locked behind her back, while hers around his neck, they swayed to the slow music that was playing by the band hired for the reception. The whole time their forheads were touching, brown eyes boring into the blue ones and back. 

"We can survive anything, Steph." He felt he had to let her know this. "No matter what we come across, we have to think of each other, that I love you and you love me. We argue and we get on each other's nerves a lot, but we're no good apart. We let ourselfs grow apart for some time, but we're back, baby, and stronger than ever. I've never stopped loving you, if anything I only fell in love with you more with each passing day. Even if I didn't always show it, you are my whole world, Stevie, you're my everything. You have my heart forever."

"You have my heart forever." She echoed what he said, tears streaming down, but a smile never leaving her face. She touched his cheek and rose on her tip toes to kiss his lips.

THE END

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for reading this story and voting, and leaving comments. It shouldn't take long for me to start another one :) Oh, and Merry Christmas!!!