Chapter 64 - Coming Out

"It wasn't the right time. Soon, my love. I promise," Navid said as he hung up with his parents.

I'd perched on a high stool at the kitchen bar watching him the whole time.

I don't know Farsi, but I understood the happy banter as he paced back and forth looking for an opener. But there had been no tension in their words, no revelation. He hadn't told them. This had been going on for a few weeks. He kept trying to find the right time.

"You really don't have to do it. You don't have to tell them about us, it's ok. What if they hate us? What if they never want to accept me? What if they blame me for it like I brainwashed you? What if I ruin your family for you and they never want to talk to you again?" I felt my leg shaking as I spoke.

"Baby love," Navid said and looked at me with sad eyes. He came towards me and wrapped his arms around my chest to pull me into him.

"I love you. I don't want to ruin your life," I sniffled.

"This is not your doing, my sweet one. You saved my life. You never ruined anything. You are the most important person in my life and it is time that they knew this," he assured. He buried his nose into my shoulder and kissed my chest as he leaned over me.

"I hate this, Navee. I wish things could be easier. It's so awkward to talk to your dad as if everything is fine. He helped me review for my final last night and then I listened to him talk about the new research he's doing. I kept thinking about it being the last time we ever talk." I sighed.

I'd spent a lot of time this semester getting help from his dad over FaceTime on the computer. Mr. Naseri opened up to me about a lot of things. His children were growing up and losing touch with him, no longer needing his help or advice. We talked about anything and everything.

He said he liked practicing his English with me, but in reality his was better than Navid's. He'd spent most of his teen years outside of London and held degrees from British schools. Like his son, he was brilliant, analytical, handsome, and charming.

But now with the impending revelation hanging over things, our chats were a little more awkward.

He'd noticed.

He asked what was worrying me. I could talk to him about anything, but never that. The true nature of my relationship with Navid wasn't mine to disclose.

I pretended to be having an argument with Erik about stuff. He'd told me to forgive him, to always be the one to make peace. He said life was shorter than we realize and best friends are life's true gold.

"I know, Noah. I know... It will be done soon. I can't have you worry for this. My father can never be angry with you no matter what. Believe to me when I say this, Noah. My parents will blame me. I am the one who takes your innocence. They know you are too sweet to be the guilt in this. If they become upset, it will direct it for me," Navid assured and kissed my forehead.

"I took yours too," I said and pushed my lips against his neck. He just laughed. He'd never accept that. His parents only saw me as the naive innocent because that's how Navid portrayed me. I really did feel like his child sometimes.

+-+-+

"It is done," Navid said when he got home from work the next day. I'd made dinner for us since he had been stuck in traffic. I guess he had called them on the way home as he inched along.

"What? What happened? What did they say? Tell me everything!" I demanded and jumped off the couch where I'd been napping in a pair of shorts and tank top.

It was warming up to summer in the San Fernando Valley. We'd had more hot days than cool. I hate this transition, but it meant the semester was nearly over.