Chapter 15

It was finally the day of Purgatory High's prom. Nicole had no plans to attend. Instead she accompanied Kate in her chemo session, bringing with her Ghost River University application papers for her own.

The redhead thought that if she had to move on with her life, might as well pretend that she's a normal adult with no cancer. Plus, it would also inspire Kate that life goes on even when you have cancer.

"I'm so proud of you that you have decided to go to college. I still have a year left before graduation," Kate chatted. It was already nighttime. Nicole and Kate were walking in the streets of their neighborhood. A couple of blocks away would be Nicole's house then another couple of blocks would be Kate's. Bicycles were rolling on their sides as they walked.

"I thought the registrar wouldn't accept my applications. I mean, it was already so late," Nicole admitted. "And that interview was so nerve wracking. I didn't expect it to be on the spot."

"Well I'm sure you did great," Kate replied, smiling. After a moment, they had finally reached outside Nicole's house.

Nicole sighed. "This is me... Thank you so much for wasting your time with me at the university."

"Mm-hm, thank you as well for always being there in my sessions... Have a good night, Nic." Kate leaned in and gave a quick peck on Nicole's cheek.

"You too," Nicole said. Then she stared at Kate as she continued. Her eyes suddenly caught a familiar red Jeep Wrangler parked across the street. No, it couldn't be Waverly.

When Nicole stepped forward about to approach the vehicle, it immediately lurched forward and out of the area, leaving a confused Nicole. Did Waverly see the whole thing with Kate? But it was prom night.

~~~

Wynonna suddenly grabbed Nicole by her jacket and pushed her on the lockers, making the loud thud sound. Students looked their way ensuing murmurs around. It was almost the end of the term before graduation.

Nicole's eyes widened as she saw Wynonna's fuming face. It had somehow a similarity to Waverly's. "Nicole, I swear this time I'll kill you for hurting my sister."

"What did I do? Where's Waverly?" Nicole had been looking for the shorter brunette the entire day at school.

"She called in sick. Not that you care anyway. Much less than ditching her on prom night," Wynonna hissed, still clutching the collars of Nicole's jacket.

Nicole swallowed nervously. "Ditched her? Wynonna, I wasn't intending to attend prom night..."

The taller brunette seemed to relax her grip against Nicole as she asked. "Then why did she reject Henry's offer the very last minute and dash to your house and wait??? I thought you invited her."

It then struck Nicole what she had done. After she left that last conversation in the library, she had been ignoring Waverly. Maybe Waverly was feeling sorry and confused and lost. And Nicole had not been helpful. She knew she had to tell the truth. She couldn't afford hurting Waverly again.

"Nicole, if you really don't like my sister, please don't lead her on," Wynonna said with finality in her voice. Then she released Nicole and walked away.

The problem was Nicole really loved Waverly. And it hurt her knowing she had hurt the brunette. She needed to tell her the truth. So she decided to pay a visit in the Homestead that night.