Chapter 1

"The Gardners are selling their house," Nicole's father, Nicholas, announced. Nicholas worked in the real estate industry. Nicole was always fond of her father's job. She used to go with him on long drives and open houses whenever she got the chance. She'd get to see different styles of houses. There was always a lot to tell about the person who used to live there depending on the style of their house. "They're moving away in a month or two, I heard Arthur accepted a job abroad."

"That's good news. They must be excited," her mother, Nancy, said. She was now wearing a different frock dress even when she's at home. Nancy was an accountant or she used to be. Now, she couldn't get herself not to stay at home ever since they found out Nicole's carrying something deadly inside her. Nicole felt sorry for her mother.

"It really is... A life outside Purgatory," Nicholas replied. Nicole focused on the phrase and wondered how amazing it would be to travel the world. Something she'd never be able to do anymore.

"I don't know, Nicky," Nancy interrupted as she downed one sip of water. "I hear their boy has been having troubles leaving Purgatory."

"I can't say... They have practically lived here their entire life. Leaving would be very difficult."

Nicole began to wonder if that would also be her case. Would it be difficult for her parents if she left?

"You need to eat your greens," Nancy suddenly muttered. Her eyes darted to her fork that was playing with her food, absentmindedly stabbing the brussels sprouts. As if the greens could get rid of her cancer.

As Nancy continued talking about what happened to the Gardner boy, Nicole's thoughts drifted away as she began remembering the short encounter she had with Waverly earlier that evening.

Of course, the redhead shouldn't even be trusting the words coming out from Waverly's mouth. They had not been friends for years. They hadn't even talked to each other before. Even when Nicole's graduating months from now, she thought she'd never get to utter a single word to the brunette. And all because of the silly thing Nicole did that night, suddenly, Waverly wanted to talk to her.

One thing Nicole never needed was another friend to say goodbye to. She already had her only gay best friend Jeremy for that. Jeremy had already known her case since that time Nicole saw blood in the toilet, which meant that if she could be taken away, it wouldn't hurt Jeremy as much. Or so she thought.

"So...," Nicholas slowly said. "I've talked to a cancer support group this afternoon-"

"Oh, is that the one organized by Sherriff Nedley himself?" Nancy asked, her face lit up. "Nicole, I think it would be a good idea."

"I don't want to," Nicole answered with finality in her voice.

Nicholas let out a soft chuckle as he added, "Your mom is right. You could get to meet friends and talk about stuff."

"Nicole, you've never been to one before. Who knows? Maybe you'd like it... I guess it's really time to-"

Nicole suddenly let go of her fork and snapped. "I don't want to go to any support group, okay? You do know that none of those things could help me, right? Words can't save me from dying-"

"Nicole!" Her mother shouted. "Don't you dare-"

"And what? Come on, I'm not a child anymore, Mom! I'm old enough to know what's the difference between living and dying. And I am dying. I have accepted that. And so should you!"

A tear strolled down her mother's cheek as Nicole stood.

"You have no right to say those things, Nicole Haught!" Her father spat, his temper rising. "Apologize to your mother."

Nicole tried to calm. Breathe in. Breathe out. She couldn't break down, not in front of her parents anyway. "I'm sorry... Can I be excused?"

Her mother nodded after a brief moment of painful silence. Then Nicole walked straight ahead into her bedroom. Nicole could sense it. Even her parents could sense it. Nicole's ending could not be stopped. All they could really do was prolong and savor everything before it's too late.

~~~

Countless musicians' posters filled the wall of the redhead's bedroom. The beige painting could be barely seen anymore. Nicole's bedroom was any typical bedroom a teenager could have. Her bed was located beside the window and her laptop, books and comic books were situated across the bed. Nicole was a tidy person, she thought at first she had mild OCD.

The only thing that came up into Nicole's head the moment she slumped herself on her bed and stared at the ceiling was fear.

Nicole was scared. She couldn't help it. Dying was not really on Nicole's list to do. That's why she decided to go to surgery. She had a lot of things she still wants to accomplish in her life.

And it's like the universe had not given that chance to her anymore. She never really remembered much when she first got diagnosed having Colorectal Cancer, also commonly known as Colon Cancer. At such a young age, her doctor had said. Nicole used to think it was sort of an achievement before, but when she saw her parents crying one late night they thought she was already asleep, Nicole then realized it wasn't at all. It was the start of the end. Her end.

It had only started sinking in that she was really dying after that afternoon's consultation. Life was indeed expensive, yet it was still cheating on you.

Nicole grabbed the journal she hid under the foam of her bed. She had listed down her bucket list after the consultation, an hour before she decided to bike towards Purgatory's only bridge in town.

Nicole had seen the movie The Bucket List, and it felt like she had the right to her own list now that she's also heading there. Nicole didn't cry, of course. She couldn't get herself to. She didn't know why. Sure, the doctor's news shook the breath out of her, but that was it. That was how Nicole had accepted her fate. The treatment could save her. But it also couldn't.

Nicole crossed out number one from her list.

1. Taunt death
2. Get drunk
3. Have sex
4. Go outside Purgatory
5. Make a significant change

Nicole realized that with the little time she knew she had left, doing the things she wanted to do like travel around the world or go skydiving was completely impossible on her case. She needed to settle on the real things that she thought would matter. Things that could make her feel like she's still there with the living and she still had to live.

Nicole's phone suddenly chimed. She stared at the unknown number before opening the message.

Unknown: You can always talk to me, Nicole.

Nicole immediately thought about Waverly and smiled. She could see how sincere the brunette was on helping her.

But Nicole didn't need saving. She highly doubted Waverly could save her. She hardly believed anyone could save her at all.