Chapter 13

Weeks had passed since that last encounter with the brunette. As requested, Nicole did try to avoid Waverly most of the time. It was for the best. At least, the universe was nice enough for Nicole to do her bucket list with her longtime crush and get away with it. She did really made a change. The redhead would no longer find the brunette crying in the library or spending some time alone in the bridge. Waverly was no longer friends with Stephanie. She now spent most of her time with Chrissy and her sister Wynonna.

Nicole, however, had now started wearing her gloves. Thankfully, Champ and Steph had stopped teasing her about it.

Wynonna had secretly thanked Nicole for reaching out to her. They finally had a big sorry party about all the things they had tend to miss out. They finally got to talk about what's bothering Waverly a lot and how Willa's death had affected her the most.

Nicole was happy to help. She was happy to make a difference. Not because it was part of her bucket list. But because she truly loved Waverly. And that was the only thing she could really do for her. To love and care from a distance.

Rumors then started to spread about the school Football captain, Henry, making a move on Waverly. Henry was different from Champ and other guys from school. He would be good enough for Waverly. He wouldn't hurt her. However, Nicole couldn't help but feel betrayed when she saw the two spending most of their times laughing by the school corridors or during lunchtime in their canteen. Nicole had never felt so jealous in her life and it hurt that she couldn't do anything about it. Waverly deserved to be with someone like Henry. It was probably for the best.

"Maybe you should go," Jeremy said one time during school break. They were sprawled on the stairs facing the huge school entrance, with comic books before them. "Not to sound like shit, but maybe, in the cancer support group, there's a gay beautiful chick around."

Nicole would have slapped the sense out of her best friend but he got his point. Nicole would have a better chance to be with a dying person, on the same journey as hers, rather than with Waverly.

"So, what's up, nerds?" Wynonna suddenly blurted out, surprising the two as she took a seat in front of them. "Wow, that's a lot of comic books."

"Nicole's planning to sell these back to Shorty's clearance sale," Jeremy said.

"Why?"

Nicole had really no intention to share the truth. "I'm decluttering my room," was all she replied.

"Mm," Wynonna garbled, then she grabbed Nicole's hand in hers, covered by gloves. "What's wrong with your hand?"

The redhead immediately pulled her hand away from Wynonna's grasp as she lied, "I'm just cold-"

"In summer?"

Jeremy came to the rescue. "It's always cold in Canada, even during summer."

Wynonna only nodded then she uttered. "Okay, back to business... I came here to ask Haught why she has been avoiding my sister..."

Nicole's eyes widened. "She's the one who told me to stay away from her..."

"I know... but actually, you were the one who's in fault. You know, if you could have pursued her even when she's stubborn, you still might have a chance," Wynonna answered.

But Nicole had already noticed that. Waverly had been making herself visible most of the time to the redhead, reading on the table by the entrance of the library, arriving at school on the same time as Nicole. Waverly was intentionally giving her chances to seek forgiveness, but Nicole knew it was for the best that they stayed as strangers.

~~~

Weeks had passed so swiftly, Nicole then noticed she only had two more weeks left to drink the prescribed drugs. Her hands and feet were all but black now. At least, she didn't have to lose her hair. At least, her body didn't reject the treatment.

They were now heading to the hospital for their bi-weekly consultation. Her father was behind the wheels and her mother was riding shotgun. Nicole was on the backseat, staring at the passersby outside the window.

"I think I'm gonna join the support group," Nicole absentmindedly uttered to her parents.

Her parents' face lit up. "Nicole, that's a wonderful decision. What made you change my mind?"

The younger redhead only shrugged her shoulders.

"Well," Nancy said. "I think it's really best to make friends."

Nicole knew she wasn't lonely. She had Jeremy. But he was always on a date with Robin when they're not at school. So, Nicole must be lonely.

Nevertheless, it was her own advice to move forward and choose to be happy.

~~~

As Nicole waited for the results of the test, she wandered off by the clean hallways and hummed. She needed time to think about what she would do in the cancer support group. Would she meet friends? Would there be any kid around her age?

Suddenly she heard someone sniffling. She walked towards the noise and came across an open door.

Nicole was never much of a nosy person but she could clearly see from the gap a girl her age with round brown eyes, short black curls and fair skin with an IV drip in her arm. The redhead realized the room was familiar. It was where she had her first chemotherapy.

The girl was sniffling alone as she waited.

"Hey," Nicole said, after she knocked. The girl abruptly stopped and quickly wiped her tears away.

"My name's Nicole," Nicole said, taking a seat nearby.

The girl only scoffed. "The hospital doesn't allow privacy now?"

Nicole only smiled, which made the girl roll her eyes. "First session?"

The moment Nicole said that, the girl now looked at her differently. She slowly nodded.

"I know the feeling... I'm surprised you must be so brave having to do it alone," Nicole went on. "I was so scared the first time I had done this. I insisted my mother not to leave me."

"You have cancer?"

"Yep, big old C," Nicole replied, smiling. This earned a smile from the girl.

"My name's Kate."

"Well, Kate... It's time for me to teach you how to survive chemo... Emotionally, I think..."

~~~

When she arrived at the building where the Cancer Support Group was gathered, Nicole accidentally bumped into Waverly and Wynonna's father, Ward.

"I'm sorry," Nicole apologized. "I wasn't looking."

"It's okay... You're Waverly's friend, right?" Ward asked, smiling.

"Umm, just Wynonna's Physics partner," Nicole admitted.

"So what brings you here? Are you a volunteer too or you have-"

Nicole's eyes darted to the front of the function hall and saw Sheriff Nedley with his daughter Chrissy, Waverly's best friend. Chrissy stared at Nicole in confusion.

"Oh, none of the two. I just passed by along the building," Nicole immediately lied. "How are you doing?"

"Oh, mighty fine, I guess. I think I'm finally getting on Wynonna and Waverly's soft side. They're actually heading this way. It's supposed to be 'bring your family' session."

Nicole swallowed a lump in her throat. She needed to leave.

"Haughtdamn! What are you doing here?" Nicole was too late.