Chapter Three

When the bus arrived at the school, Lexi, who had gotten on shortly after they had fallen asleep, woke them both up.

"Have a good nap, you two?"

Alyss groggily looked at Lexi, to Alana, and back at Lexi, smiled and said, "Yeah. I think so."

Alana kissed Alyss's arm before straightening up.

"You know, people were talking while you asleep. Some were asking if you two were dating. Others insited that you were both just really tired friends. So which is it?"

Alyss started. "We...um...it...I mean --"

"We're dating," Alana cut her off. "As of last night. And I am very, very happy."

"Well that's good," Lexi smiled. "Just...keep it down. I don't want you guys to have to go through any more trouble than you already have. I care about you."

"Thanks for the advice," Alana piped, "but I don't think we'll take it. All they can do is talk."

"That's what you think," Lexi said. "Just look at poor Danielle Gothard." Just then, the bell rang to head to class. "I'm out. Just be careful, okay?"

"Yeah. Okay," replied Alana. "We'll do that."

With that, the new couple headed down the hallway to Coach Baker's class. That was boring, as usual.

Later that day in fourth period Alyss's phone vibrated.

Alana: Hey there, cutie! How's Geometry going?
Alyss: Hi /~\ 1: I'm not cute. 2: You are. 3: I have no idea how Geometry is going because all I've been doing is watching the back of my eyelids and being in your arms in my dreams. How's classe du français?
Alana: 1: Shut up because you are cute as fuck. 2: Yes, I am, but not as cute as you. 3: Boring, like always. Madame Penuel is being a bitch like always. But it's okay because I'm loving you, like always.
Alyss: ... Did you just lowkey tell me that you love me?
Alana: ... Maybe.
Alyss: You did. And I think we may be moving too fast.
Alana: Oh...
Alyss: But maybe that's -- just -- I don't know...
Alana: Just forget I said it...
Alyss: I don't think that I want to forget that.

Ten minutes later...

Alyss: I think I love you too...
Alana: <3 ...
Alyss: Can you come over today after school?(:
Alana: Sure!(: I can't wait!

The bell rang and, throughout the day, the two couldn't stop smiling at each other across the classroom. Finally, the end of the school day came and they headed to the bus.

"Hey, you fucking faggot!" someone behind them said as a wad of paper hit Alyss in the back of the head.

"What the fuck is your problem, bitch!?" Alana screamed as she whipped around to face a girl, obviously materialistic, with long, blonde hair to her hips and diamond earrings stuck through her ears.

"Alana, let's just go," Alyss said nervously, tugging on her sleeve.

"Yeah, that's right, faggot. Listen to your fuck buddy."

Alana started to lunge at her but Alyss held her back. "It's not worth it, babe. Really, it's not."

"Okay," Alana said, trying to shake the insults off. "Okay. I just don't want anyone upsetting my baby girl. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm sure. Come on. Let's go."

The ride home was relatively quiet. They sat in the back seat together and got off at Alyss's stop.

"Hey, sweetie! How was your day at school?" Lia Howard, Alyss's stepmother, called out from the kitchen.

"It went well," Alyss said with a beaming smile, walking through the threshold to the kitchen, holding Alana's hand.

"Oh, my! You're gorgeous!" Lia said, directing her warm smile to the young girl whose knuckles were white from grasping Alyss's hands so tightly. "You must be Alana."

"I am," Alana said brightly, though thoroughly confused about how this lady knew her name.

"Alyssandra here has told me a lot about you. She's said how beautiful you are, but I never imagined you to be this pretty. You treat my stepdaughter well, you hear?"

"Daughter, not stepdaughter. You're more of a mom than Laurel ever was," Alyss corrected her.

"Alyssandra, you know that just because she didn't support your choices doesn't mean that she didn't love you," Lia chided.

"That's exactly what it means. Besides, she didn't love me enough to stay alive."

"Alyssandra! You know that's not --"

"I know that's not a lie. It's not like cancer or something else that she couldn't help. That would have been understandable. She didn't have to do what she did. She didn't have to die. That was her choice, and she didn't love me enough to stay. My being gay was too much for her, so yeah. She stopped loving me. She never stopped wanting to love me. That's what hurt her. That's why she did what she did. That's why you're here, and I wouldn't have it any other way. She was an intolerant bitch and you're not. I hated her. I like you. That's that." With that, Alyss drug Alana to her room and slammed the door.

Alyss sat on her bed and buried her face in her hands. "I'm sorry you had to hear that," she said, choking back tears.

"Hey," Alana said softly, sitting down on the bed next to her. "Don't worry about it. Do you wanna talk about it? You know I'm here for you."

"No. No thanks. I'm good. Thank you, though." She put her arms around and kissed Alana on her forehead before climbing into the middle of the bed and patting beside her.

"It's no problem. You know I care about you," she said while she lay down beside her.

"I know, sweetie," she said as Alana put her head on Alyss's shoulder. Alyss wrapped Alana in her arms and they both fell asleep there on the bed, a tangle of arms and legs.

The door swung open. "What the fuck!?" John Howard yelled, enraged. "You," he pointed at Alana, "get the fuck out of my house!" She hesitated. "Now!" he yelled.

Alana got her backpack and left, keeping her head low.

"What the fuck is your problem, man?" Alyss said, equally enraged, now sitting up on her bed. "Of course! You're fucking drunk! Just like you always are, you fucking prick!"

"No daughter of mine is going to be a fucking lesbian!" He spat the word out like it had a bad taste to it.

"Yeah, well it's not like you have a choice! I am who I am. If you can't handle it, go end yourself like mom did. Trust me, I wouldn't mind mopping up your alcohol-dosed blood at all."

At that, John lunged at her and grabbed her wrist tightly, getting in her face. "You will respect me! And if you hadn't have bothered her with that bullshit about being a faggot, she'd still be here."

"Then I'm glad I fucking told her because any bitch like that, one that doesn't even accept what her daughter is and always will be, doesn't deserve to live!"

"Alyssandra!"

"Fuck you!" Alyss jerked her wrist away and shoved him away. "Get the fuck away from me! Get out of my room!"

John balled up his fists and struck Alyss on her cheek. She recoiled and held her face. "I said," she cried. "I said 'get the fuck out.'"

"But --" he started.

"But nothing!" she cut in. "Just fucking leave!"

He said nothing else and walked out, slamming the door behind him.

"Fucking prick," Alyss said through her tears. "Fucking prick..."