𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

"Demi, stay calm. Aight?" Layla says trying to pay attention to the road and Demetrius.

"I can't, Layla! I just fucking killed a nigga!" He yells as his hands shake.

"But, baby, you did it for me. Remember that, ok? He was out to get me and you saved me." She says trying to get through to him. She holds his hand and he squeezes it.

"I saved you?" He asks. She nods.

"You saved me. And I need you to calm down so we can stay alive. Ok?" She says slowly taking her hand from his. "I gotta make a call." She goes for her phone.

"Hello?" A ratchet female voice answers.

"Uhh yeah lemme speak to East."

"He sleep. I knocked him out with this pussy! Haaaa!" She says as if she's patting herself on the back. Layla hears rustling before Dave's voice comes into range.

"Why you still here?! You answering ma phone an shit?! This the fuck why you don't pick up bitches at the club." He says and with that the door slams.

"Hellooo."

"What you want?"

"I want you to call off your goons."

"I aint call no goons to begin wit? So why you really calling? You need some dick?" He says chuckling. Layla rolls her eyes.

"Are you drunk?" She asks. Demetrius glances at her. "Anyway. What the fuck did my man just do? Shoot a ghost?"

"Your man?" He asks.

"My man."

"Damn you move on quick. I would've thought it was years ago, you was telling me that pussy was mines!" He yells purposely trying to let everyone in the car hear. Demetrius flashes another look before turning his attention to the road. He starts tapping his foot and his fist is clenched.

"Dave, don't pull that on me. Do not fucking play wit me, ok?!" Layla says becoming hostile. "Listen, tell all ya niggas, ya goons, ya bitches, ya friends to fucking lay off! Unless y'all wanna go to war because if it's war you want it's war you will mother fuckin get!" She says and on that note hangs up.

"Caught up with the enemy." Demetrius says as he chuckles. "Real fuckin cute, Layla."

"Demi, it was nothing." She says. "I been fuckin niggas since you and I fell out but they never mean anything..."

"You told him it was yours and it meant nothing?" He says grimacing.

"I know it sounds dumb as fuck but you gotta trust me when I tell you he don't mean shit. Don't you fucking see he's trynna kill me! Ion mean shit to him either!" She explains.

"Still doesn't mean anything. I wanna kill you right now too but I love you. We in tha same boat. Shit we in the same pussy!"

"Don't fucking do that, Demi!"

"Do what?! Put you out there for the hoe you really are?! Huh?!" There's silence.

"Lay, Im sorry. I didn't-"

"No. You did. And I'm sorry you feel that way, Demi." She says calmly. "I'm sorry I'm not a sorry fucking piece of shit who would wait on hands and knees for a bitch that's out here doing her thing. NO YOU KNOW WHAT IM FUCKING SORRY I COULDNT SETTLE DOWN AND LIVE YOUR MORMON ASS LIFE AND HAVE YOUR MORMON ASS BABIES!CAUSE THATS WHAT THE FUCK THEY EXPECT US ALLL TO DO RIGHT, DEMI?! HUH?! THEN WHEN YOU GET BORED YOU CAN GO AND FUCK WHO YOU WANT AND COME HOME WHEN THE FUCK YOU WANT AND THEN GOD FORBID I CALL YO ASS A HOE RIGHT?!"

"Lay, Imma need you to calm down. You on ten right now."

"Or what? HUH? THE FUCK YOU GONE DO YOU BEEN STRAIGHT BITCHIN BOUT SHOOTING A NIGGA THIS IS MY FUCKING LIFE, DEMETRIUS."

"I'm sorry I wanna live a normal life! I'm sorry I loved you enough to take you wit me!" He responds. Layla shakes her head. He just doesn't get it. Layla truly believes he'll never get it. This is her life. Lucky for him he could wash his hands and forget it all with some therapy. It wasn't like that for her. It could never be like that for her. Her and Demetrius had finally made it to one of Layla's aunt's house at 6 in the morning.

"Um. I'm gonna go inside real quick. I'll be back out when it's good." She says and just hops out the car without waiting on an answer.

She goes to the door and before she gets the chance to knock the door swings open and her aunt is standing in front of her in a dark robe.

"Ulani! You made it safely!" She says with a big smile plastered across her face.

"Yes! I did...thank you for letting us stop by on such short notice. It's been...a journey." Layla says laughing awkwardly. She looks back at the car to see Demetrius staring at her. She motions for him to come out of the car.

"Who is this?" Aunt Roselani says smirking.

"That's Demetrius. My uh boyfriend." She says with a defeated smile.

"Well don't let me keep you guys waiting. I'm sure you're tired. Hele hoʻomaha. (Go rest.)"

"Thank you, ʻAuakē.(Auntie)" Layla says. Roselani steps aside and sits at the table as she watches closely as Demetrius makes his way inside. She sips her tea as she admires his body. He finally responds to her staring.

"Uhh hi. Thank you so much for letting me and Lay stay here. I- we really appreciate it." He says with a forced smile.

"No problem." She says still looking him up and down. Layla and Demetrius make their way to their room.

Layla and Demetrius got in the bed both looking absolutely drained. They stayed on opposite sides of the bed not wanting to create conversation about what will happen next. As much as they loved each other they were over it all. Demetrius wanted a normal life and Layla wanted him to understand that was her normal life but nothing was getting through to his head.

"I think this was a mistake." They say together. It was crazy how in a span of 2 days they had fought,made up, fought, shot a man, made up then fought again. Layla couldn't help but think that she was the problem. That she was being resistant for no reason. She and Demetrius both were in their thoughts for so long they forgot they had started talking.

"Yeah. I'll call an Uber." He says sitting on the edge of the bed pulling his phone out. She heard the notification to know that the Uber is coming but then he makes a call. He steps out the room leaving the door slightly cracked.

"Hey, baby." He said and simultaneously Layla's mouth dropped.

"Yeah, I'm coming home. Business took longer than it was expected but I'm coming back home." There's chatter and then a child's voice comes into the phone.

"Hey, kiddo! You being good for mommy?" He says. Layla shakes herself out of her shock enough to pick up his bags and throw them out the window and slam and lock the door he was behind.

"Layla!" He says knocking on the door. Layla crawls back into bed and puts her headphones in to watch Insecure. She can still here Demetrius knocking in the background.

*                        *                    *

"Thank you so much for letting me stay, Auntie." Layla says grabbing her bags.

"Uh huh. Hey, what happened to your little friend?"

"Oh he had work to do. You know how that goes."

"No...at least not under your father's work. That'd be more like shooting, killing, dealing right?"

"Yeah..." Layla chuckles.