Cut The Middle Man

Surprise surprise, Tom and Tord are in love with the same girl. Also did I mention that they're best friends.

Middle au
---

Ever since Laurel walked into their life, their friendship became a distant memory.

So they made a pact on whoever makes Laurel fall in love with them first wins and the other has to treat them to ice cream.

***

"she's just so beautiful man, it's sure that I'll make her fall in love with me"

Tom listened to Tord talk, it was just so entertaining to see him so passionate whenever he monologued about someone or something. Tom listened to everyone of those monologues whether it be Tord talking about how snails are faster than we think to obscure machinery Tom listened.

He just genuinely enjoyed being with Tord,,, in a platonic way, because he's not gay since Laurel is on his mind too.

But the closure he has with Tord was different, they didn't see each other as brothers but best bestest friends and they did everything together. Tom laughed at the memory of them making a makeshift pool from a large basin.

Then Tom started questioning whether he was in love with Laurel, the only reason he ever took part in this is because Tord teased him about her and it escalated to something more convuluted, now he was here.

Feelings did develop, Tom and Laurel appeared to be the token e-girl and e-boy couple with their similar taste in fashion.

***

Tord loved Laurel extremely, but he was still a bit shy with her, hugging her was something he was still uncomfortable with because it just felt wrong.

Whenever he and Tom cuddled (platonically), there would be something that makes it feel right but with Laurel? Something just feels so off.

Not to mention that he was the boring type, the one that would prattle about stuff and Laurel just blindly nods her head.

She's just a bit different but still Tord loved her very much.

***

It's finally prom season and the two guys have worked on their prom-posals to finally impress Laurel.

They agreed to go at the same time and confront her at her locker.

A small group of people circled around them awaiting Laurel's response.

"spending a lot of time with you guys were great, but there's just no chemistry, then again it made me realise that boys aren't for me"

A girl from the crowd waved her arm and Laurel waved back, the two of them linked their arms together and left, leaving Tord and Tom with their promposals facing one another.

"bro"
"bro"

Tom read whatever Tord wrote on his cartolina:

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I like you a lot, can I go to the prom with you?"

Tord looked back at him with his expression less tense, his lips curled into a small smile,

"so what do you say Tom?"
"sure, I'll go to prom with you"

---