Chapter One

-Charlotte's Point Of View-

"I've got no money in my hand or my coat or my pocket, wo'nt get to space cause i haven't got a rocket, but i've air in my lungs, eyes in my sockets, and a heart that beats like a tap that leaks", the music drifted through my headphones and satisfied every fiber and every bone in my body. I walked alone down the damp cobblestone street of the lively city, my blonde hair flying in waves behind me. i slid my ice cold hands into the pockets of my oversized sweater and watch the cars on the busy street rush by. Pedestrians crossed. Horns honked. Lights flashed. This was my life now. I'd grown up in a small town in Southern California, not too far from Mexico. Now that I was in college, I'd moved four hours away to Los Angleles to start a career as a magazine editor, interviewer, and blogger. 

  With my bookbag slung over my shoulder and my ipod in my hand, I continued to venture back to my UCLA dormroom after another long day of classes, busking on the street, and working at Urban Outfitters. On my way back to my temperary home, i decided to stop at Starbucks to get something warm to drink and to check my emails. After ordering a Venti hot chocolate - I actually wanted to sleep that night, rather than being hyped up on caffeine - I slid my laptop anxiously out of my bookbag and opened it borderline-aggrsively. After plugging my headphones in and turning on a song by Pink Floyd, I eagerly logged into my email account. I had been waiting tediously for two long months for a response to my resume for Seventeen Magazine, and had begun to lose faith in myself. When I saw who had emailed me, I let out an audible gasp. 

Miss Charlotte Hattox,

We have reviewed your resume and decided that we would like to interview you in person to determine wheather you are 17 material or not. Please join us in our office on December 2nd for your second interview.

Best of luck,

Seventeen staff

An address and phone number were also included. I squealed a little bit- forgeting the fact that i was in public- and earned several concerned glances. I packed up my things and quickly finished my journey back home.

                                                                          *

I set my bookbag and guitar down on the beat up couch of my dormroom and was greeted by my roomates, Baylee and Elizabeth. Kicking off my white converse and slipping off my sweater, I plugged in my ipod and began playing a song by The Fray. The three of us all sang along while i made my way to the miniature kitchen area to make a cup of tea. I filled my British flag mug with water and plopped in the Earl Grey tea bag. Three Splendas and a few stirs later, I was sitting on the couch between Elizabeth and Baylee watching Doctor Who and blogging about beautiful people that were completely oblivious to my entire existence. 

"So, have you heard back from Seventeen yet, Lottie?", Baylee asked, not sounding too hopeful. "I actually did! I have an interview in two weeks!" The excitement in my voice was evident. The other girls congradulated me, hugging me a little too tight. "We should go celebrate! Do you want to go to the new club down the street?", questioned Elizabeth. "No way. Im exahusted. Im going to bed. Like, now. Maybe after my next interview", i answered, making my way from the couch and towards our room. I crawled into my top bunk and was out cold in what seemed like seconds.