04 | A Dove's Liberation

╔══════════════════╗

WALKING IN THE WIND
iv. A DOVE'S LIBERATION

╚══════════════════╝

  MANY WYSTERIANS WOULD AGREE that the princess's handmaid was the most popular servant in the castle

  MANY WYSTERIANS WOULD AGREE that the princess's handmaid was the most popular servant in the castle. Her name drifted through the castle like the breeze. With a well-distinguished father and such a close relationship with the princess, it was impossible for the Wysterians to not know of Hope.

  Now, this was an unprecedented occurrence for servants of any kind. Most knew Hope's name and not the names of King David's Court. The fame of a mere servant girl was unprecedented, yet justifiable. She was liked for her benevolent spirit, her bright personality, and incidentally, her access to many of the royal family's secrets.

  Now, don't get her wrong. Hope didn't actively spread the royal family's secrets. She was a loyal girl, not to mention an obedient servant who knew her place. However, sometimes, if there was certain information that would impact the servants and their responsibilities, Hope would tip them off in advance before they'd be informed of such occasions. This included things like upcoming balls, political disputes, or honored guests. It was for everyone's benefit, including the royal family's. After all, what good would the servants be if they weren't always on top of things?

  Speaking of honored guests, the Just King was all the servants talked about these days.

  "I heard he gets his name because of his great council and judgment."

  "I think King Edmund and Princess Odette make a sweet couple!"

  "I wish I was a princess. Maybe then he'd fall in love with me instead!"

  As mentioned before, whenever Princess Odette was busy and didn't require Hope's assistance, the lady-in-waiting used her downtime to aid fellow servants. While Odette was at a ball gown fitting for her birthday celebration next month, Hope was spending her morning aiding a few of her friends in their domestic duties.

  The morning was young, only a few minutes past ten. A small group of servants was gathered to clean the dining hall. The strong smell of soap flooded their nostrils, the suds dancing across the polished floors. The lady-in-waiting could be found wiping down the windows as she listened to the chatter of her friends.

  "Oh, Hope, won't you tell us more about King Edmund? He seems so dreamy!" a servant chirped. She was young, perhaps 10-years-old. Her name was Anastasia.

  Hope feared she would never escape the constant gossip concerning the Narnian King. Edmund was all Odette ever talked about, and now, the servants seemed to have fallen under his spell, too. Honestly, Hope didn't understand what all the fuss was over. Maybe that was because she and the king were friends now.