Let's Try Not to Brawl-January 1921

A/N: I meant to write one chapter that fits in canonically between seasons one and two. So far I've written four, and have at least one more to go. The night of Nucky's dinner party and ball are here, and everyone from the Commodore to Rothstein to Eli has thoughts about the night's events. 

January 29th, 1921

Every cell in Richard's body was telling him to turn around and walk away. He did not belong in the lobby of the Ritz; he did not belong in this dinner jacket; he should leave.

The day after Richard's invitation came, Jimmy explained that "at home" meant a ball, and that the last ball Jimmy attended ended with him crawling into Clara's room and falling asleep on the foot of her bed at seven in the morning. None of this made Richard less anxious, but what kept him moving toward the elevator was the handwritten "please come" on the back of the dinner invitation.

At first, he was alone in the elevator, but on the fifth floor, four people joined him. He recognized the three men.

"Mr. Harrow, isn't it?" Rothstein asked. "I wondered if you'd be joining us. How is the lovely Miss Thompson?"

Charlie and Meyer make eye contact. Richard clears his throat twice before he manages to answer, "she is fine."

"Yes, I'm sure she is. My dear, may I present Mr. Harrow? He works for Mr. Thompson."

"How do you do?" Carolyn said, fighting the urge to look at her husband. Richard bows slightly.

"Harrow," Luciano said from his corner.

"Hmm. Luciano. Lansky."

"Isn't this a nice occasion?" Lansky replied. "Wasn't it kind of Miss Thompson to invite us all, and won't we all have a good time?" Lansky's dearest hope was that Charlie and Clara would manage to not cause a brawl at any point during the long night ahead and that Harrow wouldn't feel the need to defend her honor.

Considering how Charlie and Harrow were eyeing each other, he wasn't placing any bets.

The elevator opened to Nucky's private hallway, where Clara stood in the doorway to the suite. Richard had to clear his throat three times out of nervousness. He'd seen her dressed up before, but nothing like this. As she greeted an older couple and moved slightly, the dress seemed to change color from light blue to green. She was wearing the gold headband and earrings from New Year's Eve and had a smile he now knew wasn't her real one.

"Miss Thompson, my wife, Carolyn," Rothstein said in his smoothest voice as he took her hand.

Carolyn Rothstein was not what Clara was expecting. Mr.Rothstein always made her feel like a bug under a microscope and somewhat reminded her of an undertaker. She expected Mrs. Rothstein to smell like Lysol and wear her hair tightly back. Mrs. Rothstein was actually warm, charming with large green eyes and dark red hair, and was wearing a sophisticated, modern deep blue velvet gown. "Thank you so much for venturing out to Atlantic City. My father is just inside the door; I know he's looking forward to meeting you."

The Rothsteins walked towards the suite, leaving Charlie and Meyer standing in front of her. "Mr. Lansky, Mr. Luciano, please call me Clara," she said in a slightly louder than usual voice as she offered Lansky her hand. Lansky smiled. Excellent cover for the fact they've met before.

"Ti prendi mezza faccia con te ovunque tu vada?" Charlie asked her with a smirk that made Clara have to fight to maintain her social smile as she seethed at his intimation that she treated Richard like a pet.

"Charlie," Lansky said in a warning voice.

"Gillian Darmody è qui. Prova a tenere i pantaloni addosso per tutti i nostri interessi?" Clara snapped back.