The Truth Comes Out

The morning was sunny, that's for sure. It was very warm, but there was also a small breeze. We woke up to the sound of birds chirping.

   "Morning," Zane said as he got up and stretched his arms.

   "Hey," I responded yawning.

   I looked at Zane's sweatshirt to make sure it wasn't dirty. I really didn't want it to get dirty. It wasn't bad.

   Zane was running his fingers through his hair when I glanced at his leg. It looked like it had gotten worse.

  "Zane, I gotta go back to the cabin ..." I said smoothing down my hair.

"What? Why?" He asked me looking worried.

"Your leg, Zane. I need to get a first aid kit or something. Plus ... we will have to go back at some point." I responded.

"Rae. Don't go back. Please." He pleaded.

It took everything I had to say no, "I need to go though. I need to see what's going on with Victoria, I need to see if Jessica is ok, and-"

"Fine, I'm going with you." He reasoned with a serious face.

I couldn't argue with him. He was going to do what he wanted to do. I had no say in his actions.

We stood up, and I took off the sweatshirt. I handed it to him. He thanked me for giving it back. I thanked him for letting me use it.

Zane and I walked side by side as we walked to the cabin. Thankfully, he remembered where it was.

When I saw the cabin in the distance, I started to get nervous. I tried to listen to what was going on inside the cabin, but I couldn't hear anything.

It was silent.

As we approached the front door, our hands got sweaty. We still didn't hear anything, and I was worried for Jessica.

When we made it to the front door, I knocked slowly. There was no response. I knocked again, a little faster this time, and we finally heard footsteps.

"Oh, well look what we have here." Victoria said with a smirk on her face.

"Can we come in ...?" Zane slowly asked.

"That depends. Are you guys gonna be idiots? Or will you follow MY rules?" She asked eyeing me.

I tried to think of what I could say. I had two options. I could either go along with her little plan, or I could smart off to her.

Before Zane could say anything, I said, "Well ... let me see Jessica first. That should weigh our decision."

Victoria glared at me, then smirked again.

"Yeah, where's Jessica?" Zane asked.

"Whatever. JESSICA, GET OUT HERE."

We heard a noise from inside the cabin. It sounded like a thumping noise. I tried to look into the home, but Victoria was covering my view.

Finally, Jessica came into view. She looked ok until you looked at her arms. There were dozens of cuts and gashes on her arms, and many cuts on her legs. They looked like they were scabbed over, so she must have had them for a while.

I covered my mouth in shock and fear, as I realized that she didn't have those cuts before we had left. Did Victoria make those ... or did she ...?

"Jessica! Oh my god, what did she do to you?" Zane screamed.

"What? She's fine! I didn't do anything." Victoria exclaimed.