What A Coincidence

Everything around me froze. I couldn't tell if I was hallucinating, or if what I was seeing was real.

   Zane ran towards me at full speed. He nice he reached me, he hugged me so hard that I almost fell over from impact.

   Tate was standing to the side of me, and I think I saw him smiling. Jessica and Victoria ran up to us too and stand around us.

   From the corner of my eye, I saw Jessica gazing at Tate. I wondered if Tate noticed.

   I wrapped my arms around him neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist. It had been so long since we had done that.

   "I missed you so much." I told Zane.

   "Likewise," He replied softly.

   When I finally let go of him, I turned and hugged Jessica.

   "Oh my god, are you ok?" Jessica asked me in the middle of our hug.

   "Yeah, I'm fine, how about you?" I asked.

   "I'm just great. By the way ... who is that tall drink of water?" She whispered with a mischievous smile.

   I couldn't hold it in. I burst out laughing.

   Zane and Tate started talking to each other. I knew they were going to become friends really quickly.

   "His name is Tate," I told Jessica winking at her.

   Your welcome, Jessica.

   I turned towards Victoria and said, "Hey, long time no see."

   She looked me up and down and replied, "Yeah, I wish it had been longer."

   I rolled my eyes and turned back to Jessica, Zane, and Tate.

   "What happened when they took you?" Zane asked me.

   "Well ... I had made my escape, but eventually they caught up with me and tried taking me back to their van. Thankfully Tate was there, and helped me out." I replied.

   "Wow, that's so cool." Jessica said looking at Tate and playing with her hair.

   Disgusting.

   "Where are you staying now?" Zane wondered.

   "She's staying with me at my parents house. It was her best option." Tate answered.

   "Oh, that's so kind of you." Jessica told Tate gazing at him.

   "Yeah ..." Tate said getting nervous.

   I felt bad for him to be honest.

   Jessica and Tate started talking to each other.

   Victoria was sitting on the ground staring off into space. I wondered what she was thinking about.

   My thoughts were interrupted by Zane when he pulled me aside.

   I smiled at him. He smiled back at me. I had to ask him a question.

   "Did Victoria ... lash out at anyone when I wasn't around ...?" I asked him, a little worried.

   That's when Zane quickly covered something up on his arm. He looked at the ground and didn't say anything.

   "Zane, what is that?" I asked him.

   "Nothing, really it's nothing." He told me avoiding eye contact with me.

   I didn't believe him.

   I started trying to pry his fingers off his arm. Eventually he gave up. Zane was covering up a huge cut in his arm.