Chapter 16

Draco's POV

I've always loved astronomy classes. Astronomy was probably my second favorite subject after potions. I found that drawing maps of the sky was a relaxing process.

We sat on the highest level of the astronomy tower as professor Sinistra talked about different stars and their influence, Hermione at my side. The teacher then gave us the work we had to do for today, and we all took out our telescopes. We started observing the stars and taking notes. Everything was alright until professor Sinistra called me and Hermione to come up to see her.

Besides her stood a man; not any man, the Minister of Magic in person. Kingsley Shacklebot. For a moment, I just stood, so did Hermione, both of us not being able to understand why the Minister of Magic came to Hogwarts to talk to us. Finally, he explained the situation.

«Dumbledore had told me about vault 361 in Gringotts. I don't know what's in there, but it seems like something very important. According to Dumbledore, you two are the owners of this vault. It has been reported that someone achieved in getting in the vault some minutes ago. I need you to come with me right now. Knowing that this vault is sealed with your blood, we don't know how this person achieved in getting inside, but our Aurors aren't able to do anything to open it», he explained hurriedly. «We hope that you will be able to open it so that we catch the thief before he steals anything of high importance», he added. 

A wave of stress hit me, though I couldn't understand why. A few minutes passed and we were in McGonagall's office, using the fireplace to get to Gringotts. The bank was filled with Aurors, all of them looking at us with serious expressions. Throughout the entire walk, I exchanged worried glances with Hermione. We finally achieved to get to the vault we had wanted to get to for the past weeks. The vault that all the clues were talking about. 

There was a huge opened door in front of us, and a bunch of wizards from the ministry in front of a silver door that was behind the first one. It looked new. This was probably the door that was sealed. 

«You should back up. If it's sealed with blood, who knows what can happen if you all stand nearby when I open it», I told the wizards. 

Hermione came with me. Nothing could happen to her, knowing that it was also sealed with her blood. The other wizards went away hurriedly and I opened the door, taking out my wand. In front of us was a wide room with empty shelves. In the middle of the room stood a man, an opened suitcase in front of him. His face was blurry; he had probably cast a spell on it to prevent getting recognized. Before we had time to react, he apparated with the suitcase, which probably contained everything that was on the shelves of the vault before.

I didn't know why, but panic and worry filled me. Hermione started trembling at my right. I caught her before she could fall to her knees. Tears filled her eyes.

«Hermione, do you know something?», I asked with a soft voice.

«I don't know. I don't know why I'm crying but I feel like what just happened is very bad», she said, tears beginning to roll down her cheeks.

All I could do was take her in my arms while she calmed down. I couldn't understand how it was possible, but even though we didn't remember anything about the vault and its content, knowing that we had lost what was in there made me feel very bad. For some reason, it was even worse for Hermione. 

We came out of the vault and I told the Aurors about the thief. They all went away, probably to try to find him. The only person who stayed with us was Shaklebot. I told him about the holes in my memory. He explained that no one remembered much about this vault. The only information the ministry knew was that it was very important and that I and Hermione were the owners of its content. How come didn't we remember anything ourselves? And, more importantly, did the thief know what was in here? How did he get in? 

Hemione was still crying. I had no idea how I could comfort her. I couldn't understand why it made us both feel so bad to lose something we didn't remember. It was all so weird... Why were we both the owners of this vault? Did we have some common past related to it that we didn't remember? Whatever the answers to these questions were, we probably wouldn't find out soon. 

Shacklebot helped us come back to Hogwarts and promised us that the Aurors would try their best to find the thief and what he had stolen. As soon as we were in McGonagall's office, he went away. The headmistress allowed us to stay in an individual room for one night so that I could take care of Hermione without having students questioning us. She also gave us a day off. Whatever was going on, she knew it was very important.

I helped Hermione sit on the bed in the room and sat by her, taking her in my arms in the hope to comfort her. She cried for hours during the night. I myself felt like I had lost something really important, but what? What had I lost? 

I couldn't do much to calm Hermione down. It was very hard for her, knowing that she couldn't understand what made her cry so hard herself. Finally, she fell asleep in my arms when the morning came. This was how life had turned into a weird nightmare in less than thirty minutes.