Final chapter

Draco's POV

I woke up when I felt something - or someone - pull at my hair. I moved my head a little bit and lifted my gaze. A snout entered my field of view. It didn't take me long to understand who was messing with my hairstyle.

«Hermione, what are you doing?», I asked.

All I heard as an answer was a sound similar to a cackle before a raccoon landed on the sofa by my side, still making this weird laughing sound. Hermione transformed back and her laugh intensified as she looked at me. I took a pen out of my pocket and transfigured it into a mirror. I could see several little braids in my hair.

«Did you really braid my hair?»,  I said before changing the mirror back into a pen.

She started laughing even louder with a sweet, crystal clear laugh. Her laugh was so contagious that we were soon both laughing our heads off in the empty common room.

We had fallen asleep in the common room the day before. I calmed down, stopped laughing, and took out my wand to cast a simple spell to see what time it was. Seven in the morning; breakfast wouldn't be soon, but it wasn't a problem. We started talking, going from one conversation subject to another, never getting bored as time passed by. 

Each time I heard her laugh, I felt like nothing or no one in the universe would be able to make me feel as happy as she made me feel.

...

Hermione's POV

We sat at the 8th graders' table, eating breakfast. I was glad that everything was finally over. I watched as Draco ate his breakfast, fascinated by his fluid, elegant movements, and delicate features. He lifted his head to look at me, a slight blush on his cheeks. I easily got lost in the grey of his eyes. 

Suddenly, two owls landed in front of us, making both of us jump. The two owls were very similar and carried letters from the ministry. I took my letter and opened it. 

It had been written by Shacklebot. He explained that the ministry would take care of giving back the keys to the people who had locked up their memories. The letter also said that with the help of a specialist in ancient curses, the thief's curse had been undone. But what surprised me most were these sentences:

Knowing that a lot of people will end up knowing about the memory-locking technique that you have created with Draco Malfoy, information about the technique will be printed in different books and made accessible. Because you are the creators of this technique and that the ministry can't keep the information about it secret, we have no other choice but to make it public and give you money to compensate the fact that we are making it public without your permission. I would also like to mention that an article on your invention will be written and you will soon be interviewed.

My eyes widened when I saw the amount of money that the ministry gave us as a 'compensation'. 

«One million galleons? They are exaggerating», I heard Draco say as he took a sip of tea, holding his cup in one hand and his letter in his other hand. 

It meant that he had also obtained a million galleons from the ministry. I was slightly surprised; I thought that because of his bad reputation and his past as a Death Eater, he would have gotten less money than I did. I was happy it wasn't the case. 

«Did they say anything else in your letter?», I asked, curious.

He handed his letter to me. I quickly scanned the text. It said pretty much the same thing as my letter did, but with a little bonus. I felt a smile spreading on my face as I read the last words of the letter. Because the ministry was aware of the fact that Draco hadn't wanted to be a Death Eater in the first place and that he had participated in the creation of the memory-locking technique for good purposes and to help fight against Voldemort, the ministry had decided to close their eyes on all the bad things he had done in the past. 

I knew that because the interview would be about the memory-locking technique, it would help to clean his reputation even more.

I gave him back his letter. We finished breakfast in silence and went to walk outside to enjoy our weekend. White snow laid on the floor and the school looked even more as if it came from a fairytale. We stayed silent, savoring the calm and peace.

«Hermione?», Draco asked, breaking the silence.

«Hmm?», I said, letting him know that he could ask me what he wanted to ask.

«Do you mind if I give you the money that the ministry had given me?», he asked with a calm voice, keeping his eyes on the floor.

«What for?», I said, intrigued.

«I don't really know what to do with it, and I thought that you would have a good idea of what it could be used for», he explained.

«We'll see what we can do with it together», I answered, smiling softly. 

We came back to walking in silence before we stopped to sit on a bench. 

«I wonder, why do we both have spots on our snouts in our animal forms?», Draco asked after a while.

I looked at him, surprised.

«Try guessing», I answered with a playful smirk. 

We sat for at least fifteen minutes without saying a single word. Finally, Draco spoke.

«Oh, I think I know... How didn't I realize it earlier? It's so obvious...», he said, burying his face in his hands. 

«So, what is the reason?», I asked with the same smirk as earlier.

«Because we had kissed while we had the mandrake leaves in our mouths», he answered, leaning back on the bench and sighing. 

«Exactly», I answered with a happy tone, grinning. 

I found the fact that he had been oblivious to the reason very cute. He looked at me and smiled too. I was happy that we could finally come back to our daily walks and conversations and to simply being a couple. 

______________________________________________

Author's note: Hi people! Thanks for reading! This was the last chapter!