Taboo

With the arrival of the new day, comes the warm sunlight that you have longed to feel for so long. After months of struggle, you open your eyes willingly for the first time, a relieved sigh leaving your lips. Although there's still a long way to go before you and Steven can reconnect genuinely, it's a blessing to feel unafraid and relaxed as you turn your head and gaze at his peaceful form as he sleeps next to you.

His mouth is slightly open, a quiet snore coming from him. His expression is serene, his hair messy and his dreaming undisturbed by negative thoughts.

Carefully, you move closer to him, stroking his head. You move your hand down to his cheek, using your thumb to caress it. The tender touch of your fingers wakes him considerately, his eyes slowly opening. He smiles, placing his hand over yours.

"Morning sleepyhead." You smile back, letting out a sweet giggle.

Steven suddenly looks like he might cry, sitting up and hiding his face in his hands.

"Steven? What's wrong?"

He peeks out between his fingers for a moment, then lowers his hands hesitantly.

You wait patiently for his answer.

He takes a breath, tearing up a little. He takes your hands in his, his smile returning. "I've missed your smile so much... and your laugh... it makes me feel... so happy."

You giggle more, teasingly pushing him away. "Oh you! You're embarrassing me!" You blush lightly.

He laughs, pulling you into his arms. "Too bad." He teases you back.

You lean against him, "Thank you..." You whisper.

"No matter what happens from now on, I'll be here, to talk, to listen, to be there for you." Steven says fondly.

Finally, he understands. He understands how you feel, and how much you want him to change for the better. You'll never forget what he did next.

"Hey y/n?"

"Yes?" you look to him expectantly.

Steven leans back, acting a bit nervous.

"There's something I want to talk to you about." He says quietly.

You place your hand on his shaking one. "Okay." You nod.

He takes your hand in his, slowly removing the wedding ring from your finger. He removes his own ring as well, with slight hesitation.

You can tell he's thinking very hard about something. After one more moment of pondering, his expression relaxes, his lips forming into a soft smile. He places the pair of rings in your hand and folds your fingers over it.

You're speechless.

"If this is really going to work... us... I think we might need a fresh start. I get it now. I never should've forced you into something you weren't ready for. So..." He gives you a loving gaze, "This time, I want it to be your decision."

"You mean, getting married? You're taking it back?" You're completely shocked.

"I think this is what's best for both of us. I want you to love me, for real. So take the rings. When you genuinely feel safe, secure, and happy being with me, then you can make the choice when you want to marry me. Next time, it'll be a real wedding."

You decide to tease him a little, "You're assuming I'll want to marry you again in the future?"

Steven looks embarrassed, "W-well I hope so! I'll do everything I can to convince you that this, us, can work."