Chapter 002

"Who are you?" the leader I assume, demands. 

"I'm (Y/N) (L/N), I'm here with Grace Augustine." When mentioning her name they all relax but don't lower their weapons. The one to the right says something to the leader in Na'vi. He turns his head to him and listens. 

The leader turns back to me and lowers his bow, the two behind him do the same. 

"You're coming with us," the leader tells me and reaches me his hand. I grab it and let him swing me up behind him on the Direhorse. 

The ride is quiet. I have sneaked my arms around his waist to keep myself stable. Something white lands on my right arm and tickles me. From what Grace has told I know it's Eywa, the Na'vi god.

The Na'vi looks down at my arm in surprise. One lands on my hands I've twined together on his stomach. I make one hand free and let it land in the palm of my hand. 

We stop and I am helped down off the Direhorse. I'm surprised by his strength. His hands are on my waist longer than they need to be. When he lets me go, he walks up to a female who I notice is standing before Jake. He looks unharmed. 

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

He nods. "You?" 

"Unharmed." I give him a slight smile. 

An older woman comes towards us. I notice her as Mo'at. The Na'vi have gathered around us. The Na'vi male and the female walk up to Mo'at, standing next to her. 

"What are your names?" Mo'at asks. I'm about to answer but Jake talks before  I can start. 

"My name is Jake Sully, and this is (Y/n) (L/n)."

Mo'at sticks something bone-like into mine and Jake's chests before tasting our blood. I flinch but don't back away. 

"Interesting," she says in English. "You're strong." I look at her, not understanding what she means, and it doesn't look like she is going to tell me either.

I look over at the male. His eyes are stuck on me. I try to read his face but it's emotionless. Whatever he is hiding, he does it well. 

"Neytiri, you are going to teach Jakesully. Tsu'tey, you are going to teach (Y/n)." 

Tsu'tey. 

 He walks up to me and gestures for me to follow him. 

"You need new clothes," he says. I look down at my tank top and shorts. What is wrong with this? Then I remember what everyone else is wearing, what Tsu'tey is wearing. Or more what he isn't wearing. I watch his muscular back and arms as I follow him. 

––––

As I'm dressed, more undressed actually, Tsu'tey takes me out to learn how to ride a Direhorse. He takes my braid, my queue, and attaches it to the Direhorse. 

"We call this Tsaheylu, the bond. It connects you to everything around you, now it connects you to the Direhorse," he explains. "Whatever you want him to do, think it and he obeys." 

Clumsy, I sit upon the Direhorse. Move slowly forward. To my surprise he does. Slowly. I'm too excited, which the Direhorse feels and quickens the pace. I fall off as I lose control. Tsu'tey comes towards me with an amused expression. I look up at him, trying to look angry. But I can't. Not around him. I just shake my head and sit up, trying to brush off most of the dirt. Now I'm glad I'm wearing almost nothing. My human clothes would be a pain in the ass to wash. He reaches me with his arm. I grab it and he pulls me up. He doesn't let me go for a while. I notice how close we are. I can feel his breathing on my face and his smell. Nature, and something sweet, almost like honey, I think for myself. 

He clears his throat and lets me go. 

"Leyn," (again) he says. "Remember, he obeys you, whatever you want him to do he does."

So I try again, this time I can sit up even when he runs. Tsu'tey looks pleased when I come back to him. 

"Tomorrow, archery and languages," he tells me. Together we ride back to the Hometree. It's starting to get dark outside. As we reach it Tsu'tey leads me to the circle of people. We sit down and he gives me some kind of fruit. I hesitate. 

"It's good, pänutìng," (promise) he says sounding a little amused by my acting. 

I trust his word and take a bite. It's sweet, somehow sugary, and fruity. The juice runs down my chin. I smile at myself. This is good. 

When it's time for sleep Tsu'tey leads me up the tree to rows of hammocks. He points at one, indicating it's mine. 

"'Night," I said before walking to my hammock and laying down. I watch him as he moves further down the row of hammocks and lays down. He pulls slightly on the hammock and it closes around him. I do the same and quickly fall asleep. 

––––

I'm sitting with Jake and Grace to give her a brief recall of what happened today. I notice Jake is as lost in thought as I am. 

"What is up with you two?" Grace asks, who also must have noticed. 

"Let's just say, it has been a long day," I say. Jake nods and agrees. 

Grace looks at us. I see that she doesn't really fall for it, but doesn't want to argue. 

"Go get some sleep, be back here tomorrow. Focused," she says. I and Jake stand up and walk to our rooms. 

I grab a quick shower before going to bed. It's hard falling asleep with his face on my mind. I know it's wrong. He is only my tutor, and I'm his student. I shouldn't have feelings for him. Do I?

Tsu'tey is Na'vi, I'm an Avatar. 

With his face stuck in my mind, I eventually fall asleep. 

––––