Reaping Again

I can tell Cato's stressed. I'm definitely going back into the arena but for the males, it's between him and Haymitch. I don't want him in the arena with me, I highly doubt that Snow would let the same mistake happen again. He already killed Crane for it, Plutarch wouldn't dare make the same thing happen again. Every person I've seen today has said 'Sorry' for us but I don't accept any of them. I feel numb, I feel nothing. This whole thing is so fucking stupid, I only did what I did because I didn't want to lose Cato. Now I'm paying the price for it. I can't imagine anyone being pregnant in the arena, let alone me having to experience it. There was one tribute that was pregnant in the arena a few years ago, Talisha. One of the Careers stabbed her in the stomach and her baby died with her. Being pregnant slowed her down which proved fatal. Would it do the same to me?

****

I headed in a daze towards Haymitch's mansion and opened the door without knocking. He was in the living room, a bottle of liquor in his hand and glass all over the floor. He was scowling at the frozen TV screen before he noticed I was in the room.

"Well, I wondered when you'd come. Here to ask me to risk my life?"

"No, I'm here for a drink."

"Now that I can help you with."

He's about to hand the bottle to me but then he pulls it away.

"Hold on, aren't you pregnant?"

"Wha-, How did you know? I haven't told anyone yet."

"Effie found the test in your bathroom when she went to touch up her makeup. Of course she wanted to tell everyone but I warned her not to. I knew you'd be upset about it."

"Damn you Effie."

"By the way, Cato's already been here. I already made a deal with him."

"And what would that be?"

"If he gets reaped, I'll volunteer in his place and I'll take care of you during the Games. But, if they call my name and he volunteers, there's nothing I can do."

"But promise me something. When it comes down to it, you have to save him over me."

"Alright, now get out of here. We have a big day tomorrow."

****

Everyone milled in the square once again. The air seemed a lot different this year. Effie was not her usual happy self, a look of sorrow on her face. The crowd mimicked her look and my family looked like they were trying to hold back tears.

"Welcome, to the 3rd Quarter Quell, the 75th Annual Hunger Games. As a reminder from President Snow, this years tributes are reaped from the existing pool of Victors. As usual, ladies first."

Her voice droned, like she didn't believe what she was saying anymore. She made her way over to the bowl with just one lonely slip of paper. It took a lot of her strength to reach all the way to the bottom of the bowl to grab the slip of paper between her fingertips.

"Brooke Fairfall, and for the men."

She rifled through the two slips of paper and grabbed one. When opened, she sighed in relief.

"Haymitch Abernathy."

"I volunteer as tribute."

The tears that were building up threatened to fall over my cheeks. Cato starts to walk to Effie when Haymitch grabs his arm.

"I can't let you do that."

"You can't stop me."

The tears fall over my cheeks and Effie looks like she's about to cry too.

"Our District 12 tributes, Brooke Fairfall and Cato Hadley."

The Peacekeepers grab my arms and drag me towards the train. I can hear the sounds of Pepper calling to me.

"BROOKE! BROOKE!"

"No! I get to say goodbye!"

I struggle against the Peacekeepers and look back at the sullen face of my baby sister.

"GOODBYE!"