To Kill A Career

CATO POV

I let go of Brooke's arm and watched her walk away with Johanna and the coil. I don't know why, but I just had a bad feeling about this. Beetee was still at the base of the tree, running his hands over the thick wires that conducted electricity. He muttered some scientific nonsense before sitting down, taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes. Finnick held his trident, leaning on it like a walking stick.

"You two really are in love huh?"

"Of course, I love her more than anything. Does it feel the same for you and Annie?"

"Absolutely. As soon as I laid eyes on Annie, I just knew she was the one for me. That she was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I know that she isn't really all right in the head but that's what makes her unique."

"But to think that we might not be able to spend our lives with the ones we love. It's all being taken away from us and there's nothing we can do about it."

He put a hand on my shoulder and sighed.

"I know, to think if we lived in the Capitol, things would be a whole lot easier."

I opened my mouth to speak but then I heard a rustle not far from our position. Pulling out my sword, I ran towards the sound. I could hear Finnick's footfalls behind me as we both ran after the sound. We ended up stopping in another clearing as Brutus turned around and charged at us. He easily matched the both of us with his strength and experience. Finnick was tiring quickly, he was no match for Brutus. Eventually he stopped and I took on Brutus one on one. He dodged all my attacks and our weapons met each other with a clash of metal. It was a standoff.

"Very good, young Cato. But unfortunately you are no match for me. Just give up and it will be a lot easier on your wife."

Anger surged through my veins and I used my free hand to grab his spear. My sword pierced through his chest and crimson blood spurted out onto the jungle floor. With an almighty pull, I wrenched my sword from Brutus' chest and more blood gushed from the wound. He dropped to his knees and locked eyes with me.

"Thank you."

He breathed his last words and fell down onto his back. All the colour drained from his face and he lay still. The cannon boomed and I turned back to face Finnick but he wasn't there.

"Finnick!"

I ran back the way I came and collided with someone.

"What are you doing!? You're supposed to be near the tree!"

"I could ask you the same! Where's Brooke?!"

Johanna looked around quickly before leaning closer to me.

"Just follow my lead. Brooke is okay. I just don't know where she is."

"What is going on?!"

"Don't worry, the less you know the better. This is all part of the plan. We need to get back to the others."

We started to head back to the tree when a loud bang sounded through the arena. Johanna looked around and we both looked up at the sky. It flickered and turned black, plunging the arena into darkness. Slowly sunlight came over us and we looked up again to see pieces of the forcefield plummeting to the ground. Someone had blown out the arena. Johanna and I started to run towards the lightning tree but we heard the sound of hovercrafts approaching us from behind. Still we ran. I felt a claw wrap around my waist and lift me up off the ground mid-run, pulling me into the hovercraft. As soon as the claw let me go, I felt an object pierce my neck and darkness overcame me.

My last thought, is Brooke alive?