Chapter Five: Lightning

Kylo Ren was standing unmasked in my home. Never in a million years did I picture this is where I would end up. Making clothes for a ruthless commander of the First Order.

A ruthless commander that was also, apparently, very attractive.

I know inner beauty is supposed to count more than external beauty, but damn.

Even so, no amount of physical perfection could erase the damage he'd done to the Galaxy. To my family...

I needed to say something. But what do you even say in a situation like this?

"You can, uh," I started, trying to sound casual, "set it on the desk if you want. I'll clear a spot."

I scurried to the work table and shoved various fabrics and such to the side to make room for his helmet. Anything to not have to look at his face.

I wish I could ask him to put it back on.

There was a game of tug-of-war happening inside my chest. On one side, I had the part of me who knew what a vile human he was. And the other...well, the other felt something stirring deep within while looking at his face.

I turned back around and he was still standing in the same spot, helmet tucked under his arm. He looked so...cool. I hated it.

"If you're worried about it getting dirty, I assure you this is the cleanest spot in here. I know that's not saying much considering..." I said as I gestured around the hut.

He still didn't say anything. Or move.

What was this guy's deal?

"Is something wr-"

"How long has your mother been gone?" he asked, cutting me off.

I was stunned. Not only because he had asked something so personal out of the blue, but also because...his voice was....human.

Without the voice modulator, his voice was actually soothing. No wonder he covered it. He wouldn't be able to scare people as easily without the helmet.

He wouldn't be as scary then.

"I'd rather not talk about-"

"Tell me," he said as he began taking slow steps toward me. His tone gave nothing away. No motives or intentions. He wasn't asking to be malicious. But he wasn't asking out of kindness either.

"The last time I saw her was about a month ago," I said.

"She's alive?" he asked, a hint of surprise in his voice.

Oh. Shit.

He had thought I meant she was dead when I had said she was gone. It would've been so much safer to keep that narrative going. I couldn't pinpoint what came over me. What made me not think at all before I spoke.

I picked up the tape measure and sheet and walked back to the center of the room.

"If you set the helmet down, I can finish this and get to work." I said, trying to sound nonchalant. But on the inside, I was in a full blown panic.

He finally set the helmet down and took his long strides back to me. He was standing closer than I would have liked.

"You know something," he said, his tone dark.

"I really don't," I said, daring to meet his gaze. His eyes were a deep brown with flecks of honey.

I kept my eyes locked on his for a moment, not letting myself back down. I had nothing to be nervous about. Because I had nothing to hide.