Chapter 3

When Amelia and Jo came back to the house on the beach, Jo was still shocked about the offer the neurosurgeon had made to her. She had never envisioned her life away from Seattle, but even so, this life in Los Angeles seemed like a suitable option for her at this point. She needed, of course, to start a new chapter in her life and make a complete turnaround in what she had planned because none of what she planned was still possible.

As soon as they arrived in front of the house, his first instinct was to sit in front of the ocean and watch the children play in the water. They were so beautiful, so happy, so innocent, they didn't know what their lives were going to be like. They had already gone through so many hardships, but they knew that they could overcome anything that would happen because they were familiar with the feeling of being loved.

Jo never had the chance to be loved unconditionally the way Meredith's children were loved. She thought she would be loved forever by Alex and they would be together forever, but considering recent events, she was wrong.

As soon as she learned of the suggestion Amelia had brought forward, Meredith sat down next to her friend to ask her opinion.

"So," Meredith asked with a sweet voice, "are you planning to move to Los Angeles?"

"I have no idea." The young woman replied, looking down on her feet. "When she suggested it to me, it seemed like a stupid idea, but after I thought about it on the way home, it seems to be a possibility. I could start my attending career here. I could get a position as an attending in general surgery. I could do some really good things here. How about you, what do you think about it?"

"In an objective point of view," Meredith said, looking her friend in the eye, "I think spending some time here can only be a positive thing for you. Once you will come home to Seattle, you'll have a lot of memories that could put you back in a bad situation."

"I'm afraid I won't be able to handle myself away from you, away from all the people I call when I feel bad."

"Don't you worry Jo because I'll always be there for you." Meredith continued, hugging her friend. "I just wish you could take some time to get back on your feet. Staying here for a few months or a few years can only be a good thing for you. It'll do you a lot of good, even though I'm gonna miss you a lot."

"Anyway, I haven't made my final choice yet. I still have some time to make up my mind, and on top of that, Addison might refuse to hire me."

"Jo, let me tell you one thing: you are an extremely gifted and talented surgeon. If you don't want to hire you, you got to be stupid. Anyway, we'll talk about it tonight because Addison's coming over for dinner."

"Should I have my resume ready?" The young woman questioned

"No, I'll be fine. Furthermore, if there' s a need to talk about your career path and show all the assets you have, me and Amelia will be there for that, to show her how it would be a big mistake not to hire you."

"Thank you both for being here during that hard time of my life."

"By the way," Meredith as she got up, "we're both going for a walk."

The two young women headed straight downtown to one of the most famous bakeries. They spent the whole afternoon eating cakes and reading silly magazines.

When they got home, they realized that Addison was already in the house and was playing a card game with Amelia and the children. When Jo saw her, she ran straight to the room, and soon after, she was joined there by Meredith.

"What's going on?" Meredith asked.

"What if it doesn't work?" Jo said, her eyes soaked with tears and her body shaking from pain and anxiety. "What if she doesn't want to hire me? What am I going to do if she refuses to hire me? Where would I go?"