Chapter 7

Katriana's POV

MIDTOWN PREP

QUEENS, NEW YORK

I spin my pencil in my hand absentmindedly, thinking about the mission in Lagos that mostly everyone attended. Why does the last period have to be so boring? I feel a tap on my shoulder, and then a note from Peter.

Why so bored?-P I smile, then write back.

Sophomore years a bit of a drag.-K I hand it over to Peter, who smiles and nods in understanding. The bell rings, and we all rush out. My phone rings, and with an apologetic look to Peter, I take it.

"Hello? Happy?" I ask, not bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Kat, Lagos mission gone wrong. I need you to use your super suit and get over here ASAP." Tony's voice. I forgot about the suit Tony made for me, although it's basically how I found out about Peter's secret identity of Spiderman.

"Okay then. See you." I hang up.

"So, can you do patrol with me?" Peter asks.

"No." I raise my voice down to a whisper. "Lagos mission gone wrong. Need to fly to the compound."

"Alright, see you tomorrow?" Peter asks, his brown doe eyes staring at me.

"See you tomorrow. Tell everyone I said hi okay?" Today was somehow the day that most of our friend group went missing, although sometimes it wasn't that long. I go into an alleyway, and suit up, flying to the compound, and changing into casual clothing.

"Nat, what went wrong?" I ask, walking toward her.

"We caught Rumlow, but there was a bomb. Wanda tried to stop it, but it went into a building. Causalities still unknown." She replies.

"Oh. Where is she now?" I ask.

"Her room, but Steve's comforting her," Nat says, and at the exact moment of when she said Steve, her face flares up in a blush.

"You still haven't confessed to him yet?" I whine, but then Tony and the Secretary of State comes in. he motions us to go with him, and we are sitting around a table. I send Wanda a reassuring smile.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." General Ross starts.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat asks.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" General Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks.

"New York."A Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. The Hulk smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Rhodey looks regretful. He glances behind him at Natasha, who stares at the screen, no emotion written on her face.

"Washington DC." The three helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. Sam looks down.

"Sokovia." I try to keep my composure. Was he trying to make us feel terrible? Cause he's doing a great job at it. Terrified citizens, running. The city rising. A building falling over. Wanda stares at the screen, as does Tony. I look at Ross, putting on my, I'm-not-sure-if-I-should-kill-you-or-forgive-you face