Story Time #14

I dont know how how I got to 1.08K reads but I did. Much love and thanks to everyone whos supported me so far. Also a big thanks to my family who has been ok with me writing a slice of their everyday life.

So I got some scary news. Two of my sisters co-workers got Covid-19. It's a weird feeling, because I know at any point my family could get infected if my sister gets it. So far she's been the only one who wears a mask inside our home. I might start doing that too. Who knows? Maybe washing your hands after going out isn't enough. It doesn't hurt to be a little extra cautious.

Want a way to bond with your family? Build something. If you got a rusty old table, bed or anything in general; throw it out. Order a replacement and build it! (Have it shipped to you if possible to avoid any contact.) My family has had the same old table and chairs set for years now. We recently had to replace the chairs for hazardous reasons. The table was fine but why order 4 new chairs seperately when you can get the whole package? (The table was actually pretty old.) The seats of the chairs were falling off, and screwing them back in wasn't working anymore so we destroyed one and are getting rid of the others. My mom ordered these nice wooden chairs and a round table. This week my mom, dad and I got to building the chairs. I only helped on building two; but the family bonding was still there. Building something with anybody can be irritatting. Theres always that person that gives out orders, the one that yells when they get mad and the person who sits there doing nothing. Luckily for me, my parents helped me build them. We actually managed to work together without pissing eachother off. Kind of. I'll admit I did get a bit angry when things weren't moving fast enough, but then again I have no patience. If any of you are planning to do the same, take this advice from me. Trust me you'll need it. Communication is key. It sounds obvious, but it happens without people noticing. While communication in teamwork can be about what you're going to do, and splitting up roles you also need to consider two more things. "What needs to get done?" and "What tools do I need to get done?". These two questions were vital for building those two chairs. Oh and don't forget to make sure everyone is on the same page. "Can you hand me the cross screwdriver? I need it to screw in this bolt." Simple statements like that can help with communication instead of "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Why are you so dumb!? I told you to pass me the damn screwdriver like 20 times and you DIDNT LISTEN." See the difference? You want and most likely need help (unless you build solo) and shouldn't push a person away.

Building with my family was pretty fun and helped me pass time. It took my mind off of Covid-19 for a while and provided bonding time.

If you're up for the challenge then go for it! It's not as bad as you think and with enough effort and communication you should be fine! (Hopefully).

Stay safe and have a great day!