Chapter 4: Twelve Hours of Silence

+*+ PIP +*+

"So... It got jammed?" Precilla asked, inspecting the Baby Tunnel for the past ten minutes or so. Pip didn't really know. He lost count. For all he knew, they've been here for an hour.

"What should we do?" Freddy asked, turning to K.C. with wide hopeful eyes. Pip couldn't help it but also turn towards K.C., the koala that always seemed to make everything better.

    "I don't know," K.C. replied, hopelessness filling his strong friend's eyes for the first time. She sighed, exasperated as she turned to face the wall of the dark-but-not-so-dark cave.

    "Should we tell Captain Beakman?" Pip asked, stating the most obvious thing they could do. If K.C. couldn't solve a problem, that motherly pelican would be the next bird to ask.

    "That's actually a good idea!" K.C. exclaimed, motioning to the door. Pip smiled smugly, raising his eyebrows, then he exchanged looks Freddy and Precilla, wondering which one of them were going to go first.

K.C. sighed with a smile as she proceeded to go forth the tunnel that had helped them enter the chamber, then Precilla decided to follow. Not wanting to be the last this time, Pip immediately made a move towards the tunnel, with Freddy trailing behind him.

"This sure is interesting, huh, Pip?" Freddy asked his penguin friend, with the help of his long coral pink neck, placing his head right next to Pip's.

"Yeah," Pip replied, shrugging, before worry decided to fill his face once again, "But I'm worried with what's happening"

They finally emerged at the cafeteria again and that was when Pip realised they were still inside the T.O.T.S. complex. After walking a few metres into the dining hall, he risked a look back at the tunnel from which they came through, but he could barely recognize it anymore. He wasn't even sure which group of flora concealed the entrance.

"Wow..." he mouthed to Freddy, earning an enthusiastic nod from him.

They approached the elevator and Pip wondered when it ever carried four different animals because they truly were four different animals. K.C. pressed the button to go up and placed her paws together as they slowly ascended.

    Precilla was examining the boughs of holly which winded around the glass tube of the elevator, and Freddy was just peeking out everywhere. Pip, meanwhile, was impatiently tapping his webbed foot wondering when they'd make it up. They still had one more floor to go. It wasn't that the elevator was slow or anything, but his anxiety was growing within him by the minute.

    They finally make it up to Captain Beakman's small but fine office, with a great view of T.O.T.S., both on the inside and the outside. Pip could almost hear the machineries and chatting of storks in the Loading Area here, given it was right above it. It was sadly very warm here, too, but a delicious smell of hot chocolate was coming from the table of Captain Beakman.

    Speaking of the stork, she was seated on her swivel chair behind her desk, with an array of papers arranged in front of her, wearing quite a surprised look on her face.

    "Hello, Captain Beakman," K.C. said, going for the tone between casual and formal, and Pip had no idea why because he knew nothing of the event was going to make this casual.