Prologue: Katherine

WARNING: THIS STORY WILL CONTAIN LOTS OF BLOOD AND VIOLENCE

(Don't forget to vote and comment)

Thirty Years Ago

(Kaleena)

"What's the point in having a car if you're not going to use it!" I complained as Elijah led me down the dark sidewalk. The moon was big, but there were no stars out, making the night look haunted. It was also quiet. Too quiet. Shouldn't there have been sounds of nocturnal critters buzzing around or a gentle breeze blowing through the leaves on tree branches? I kept glancing up at every streetlight we walked underneath. Bugs were normally attracted to the light. There were none under every pole I checked. Why was this night so...eerie?

I also had that feeling again. That feeling I was being watched.

Elijah's hand was laced tightly in mine. He wasn't afraid of the shadowy figures that often appeared in the night, but I was.

Some of them reminded me of an outline of a man lurking somewhere in the dark.

I was grateful that Elijah could sense my unease and assure me I was safe with just one touch or gentle squeeze of my hand. "And miss the opportunity of having you cling to me when you're afraid?" he joked with a bounce in his step.

I hide my smirk. "You shouldn't want me to be afraid. A man should want his fiancée to feel safe at all times."

I could see his smile widening as we came underneath another streetlight. I loved his happy mood. I had to fight against its contagion as we continued our late hour walk back to my mother's house. His perfect teeth and beautifully carved features gleamed at me courtesy of our dim-lit spotlight. "You don't feel safe with me, Kaleena? You know I won't let anything get to you." My heart spasmed at the sound of his warm and heavy tone.

"You better not," I retorted, trying to mask how much he affected me. Everything about Elijah Wright drove me crazy, even after three years of being together. And tonight, he had finally proposed! He was now walking me back from my surprised engagement party. Luckily, the apartment complex wasn't far. Elijah loved the outdoors and going for walks no matter the hour. "If I get kidnapped then it's your fault."

He pulled me towards him until I was close enough for him to drape an arm over my shoulder. His fingertips unapologetically brushed over my bare arms. "I'd be a fool to let anyone take you away from me."

I stole another glance at him, taking in his rich dark mocha skin and exotic haircut. Elijah sported a curly mini afro with an undercut. My fiancé also had the most gorgeous eyes, brown with tints of gray in between.

Everyone at church said we made a beautiful couple. My lighter skin tone was a delightful contrast to his darker one. My eyes were not exotic like his, but we both seemed to always get lost staring at one another. My best feature though was my long slightly wavy hair. Even our height was perfect. I stopped just where his chin began, a lovely benefit during our nuzzling sessions.

We went through the pedestrian gate of my apartment and my tension from walking in the sketchy night faded. I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder as we passed the pool area. The small lights illuminating from the water gave it a bluish-green tint. Decorative outdoor chair surrounded it on all sides. The view was very scenic and romantic.

"Feeling better?" Elijah asked, kissing my temple. He must have noticed my body language.

I nodded and smiled. "Thank you."

He stopped walking and pulled away just enough to hold up my left hand and kiss my new diamond ring. He kept his eyes on my face. "I told you, baby. I got you."