Interruptions

(Dawn)

When I woke up, I didn't feel my soft bed. Instead, my cheek pressed into a solid chest. The rhythmic sound of a strong heartbeat almost lulled me back asleep. I blinked a few times before raising my head. Confused, I watched Michael's peaceful form lying underneath me. I was taken aback with how quickly he had healed overnight. Every open wound and bruise was sealed up and gone, only splotches of dried blood caked his skin and what was left of his once extravagant suit. Despite his filthiness, Michael still was a beautiful sight to behold and even more so now with the serene aura that was surrounding him as he slept. Most of the dried blood on his face gathered under his left eye, the one that had been mangled last night, but I had a feeling that when he opened it, I would see it completely restored.

I'm not sure how long I just stayed there hovering over him, but it was long enough for him to sense my scrutiny. He hadn't opened his eyes yet. So, he caught me by surprise when I heard him say, "I'm sorry."

I frowned. "What for?"

"For being burdensome." His hand gingerly touched my back. My stomach fluttered from how warm and strong it was. He slowly opened his eyes. And yes, I was right. His once injured eye was now flawless again as it bored into my darker brown ones. "I hope I didn't hurt you. I repositioned us as soon as I was strong enough."

Now waking up this way makes more sense. "You didn't have to do that."

Michael nodded. "I did. But you're the one who didn't have to let me stay. You have my upmost thanks."

My skin may be brown, but I was blushing anyway. Shyly, I removed myself off his perfect body to sit on my knees. I noticed him frowning as he took in the stains his ruined clothes left on my pajamas. "Don't worry about it," I told him lightly. "I'm just glad you've fully healed."

The seriousness in his face evaporated as he sensed the sincerity in my words. Michael sat up and gave me a heart-stopping smile as he leaned in so close that our noses nearly touched. "Looks like the saying is true."

"What saying?" I whispered, mesmerized by his breathtaking proximity.

"That sunshine does the body good."

I gulp. "Glad I could help," I said a couple of dramatic heartbeats later. "Though, I'm not sure what I did. You're the one with the super ability to self-heal."

Michael shook his head. "Don't underestimate yourself, Dawn. You're more powerful than you realize. I feel it every time I feel you." As if he was trying to make a point, Michael daringly touched his nose to mine.

I gasped and quickly jumped back from the unexpected intimacy, blinking wildly.

Michael merely watched me with a triumphant expression. Something else was in his stare as well. Expectation? No, not necessarily that but permission. Permission to be bolder. To be the most affectionate we've ever been with one another.

Holding my breath to ensure that I won't break this delicate yet highly electric moment between us, I carefully moved back into the way we were before. I reconnected the tip of my nose against the smooth skin on his. My eyes were closed now but I could feel his head moving and I knew that I was a split second away from feeling his lips for the first time. I felt light-headed at the mere thought of what was about to happen, and my erratic heart was nearly giving me chest pains. But my symptoms were worth it, as long as I hung in there long enough to....

"Oops!" Brielle's gasp breaks the moment. I could almost hear the symbolic glass shatter in my head.

Once again, I jumped back as if Michael had just electrocuted me. However, the beautiful man I nearly kissed—twice now—wasn't startled at all by the intrusion. He hadn't backed away an inch. In fact, he still had his gorgeous eyes glued to me watching me in fascination.