Job Proposal

(Michael)

"But why her, mother?" I asked curiously as we slowly made our way back to the front of the mansion.

I helped supported her weight by letting her cling to my arm. She was already getting breathless. "I'm older now and don't have as much strength or energy as I used to. I must hire someone to do the chores I cannot and run errands for me. I am forbidden to leave the grounds and my sons are always off doing...well...what it is you always do."

"We don't have a choice."

Katherine sighed helplessly. "Sometimes I wonder..."

I stopped and pulled away from her. "What? You think I like being what I am? You know I would never choose this!" My eyes shined their unnatural glow as I grew angry, but I would never hurt my mother.

My mother wasn't afraid either, just sorrowful. She gently wrapped her arm around mine again led us forward. As soon as she touched me, my eyes reverted back. "Calm down, my son. I understand that this...abnormality bothers you most of all. I only meant that I wish there were a way you all could be cured."

My anger subdued. I hated myself more than usual for acting that way with the one person who could look past all the deaths that were on my conscience and see my heart. I quickly redirected the subject of our conversation. "If you hire her, how will you keep this from Joseph?"

"I will deal with him." I found her confidence surprising.

Confused, I peered at her. "What do you mean? You're terrified of him."

"Not of him killing me," she explained. "After thirty years of being with him, I've learned how to handle him in certain ways. Besides, I don't ask for much. So, whenever I do make a request, he becomes more compliant.

"You really want this girl to be your aid? Mother, you don't even know her name or anything about her."

"We've talked briefly. I would like to know more about her life...mainly her family," she added softly. "I suppose I secretly long for stories and updates on the real world which I cannot participate in. She seems nice enough to humor an eccentric old woman."

"You're not old. Neither are you eccentric. But the rest of your family needs to be admitted."

She smirked at my joke.

My smile faded and I stopped walking again. "Are you sure he won't be mad at you? He's never allowed you to do anything like this before. It's one thing to send someone on errands for you, but it's another to have this person in our house too close to our secret. If she finds out about—"

"I understand the consequences, but you and I will make sure it doesn't come to that." Katherine cupped the side of my face and said tenderly. "I know I can count on you."

"But Joseph—"

She quickly spoke up. "Has never allowed me to do this before because I have never asked. Normally, I would not want to because of the risk of someone losing a life. But I've learned to own my gift of persuading the one who is obsessed with me. If I request that she not be hurt, then I will trust that she won't be."

I tightened my gaze on her. "You still haven't told me why you want her specifically."

Mother had a far off look on her face. "She's special."

I couldn't argue with her there. This could not have been an ordinary human girl. What I wanted to know was, if she ended up finding out about us, could she be trusted? Joseph probably wouldn't take any chances and just off her. Or let Mason have his way with her.