Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

How's everyone doing? Still enjoying the story? This one is a little shorter because I felt it would be more effective if it stood alone. As always, vote and leave your thoughts. Thank you for reading!

(Dawn)

"Brielle." I stood right behind my cousin's barstool. I forced my hands down my sides as if that would stop them from quivering. All of my nerves were shot.

Brie turned to face me. Her pout immediately changed to a look of panic as she took in my state. She jumped from her seat. "What the hell happened to you? Is that...are you bleeding?" She reached up as if to touch my face but then pulled her hand back. "Oh, God! Where's Alex? He didn't do this, did he? We need to get you help!" She looked around the club frantically.

"It wasn't Alex. We need to go," I managed to say stably even though I felt anything but.

"Who hurt you?" she demanded.

I shook my head. I started to say it wasn't my blood but that would be admitting that what I saw Michael do in the VIP lounge was real. "It's...not what you think."

"Yeah?" she eyed me, unconvinced. "Then what is it? Dawn, tell me what happened."

"I'm not hurt. I just..." I made an attempt to take in another steady breath. "I seriously need to get as far away from here as possible." I didn't want to break down in front of all these strangers.

Brielle went quiet before she nodded compliantly, obviously sensing my desperation. She placed a comforting arm around my shoulder. "Let's get you home."

"Please," I begged as a sob jammed its way into my throat. She allowed me to lean into her body as we headed out the club. I didn't want to be around when someone found the dead bodies lying the lounge I just departed from.

On the way out, no one else seemed to notice my state. It was probably too dark for anyone to take note of the gore on me unless they were standing as close as my cousin was. Just about every clubgoer was too distracted by either getting felt up on strangers or jumping rhythmically to the current playing techno vibe. It was probably a good thing that I hadn't drawn too much attention because I had absolutely no desire to explain any of this.

"Where's Alex?" Brie asked. "Is he okay?"

"He's in the car."

When Alex saw us coming out the club, he hopped out the car and rounded it towards us. "Is she all right?" he demanded.

Brielle chewed him out. "Does she look all right?!?! What the hell were you thinking let her go in there by herself?!"

Alex was bewildered. "I...I didn't..." he shifted to me. "Dawn...tell me what happened"

"What does it look like?!?!" Brie shouted. "Someone hurt her!"

He carefully took me by the shoulders, his frowned deepening. Alex checked my face thoroughly and seemed confused. "You have blood on your face, but you don't seem to be bleeding."

I swallowed through the heavy thickness that filled my mouth and throat. "I'm not." Alex waited for me to explain but I couldn't go any further. There was no way I was going to retell what I just witnessed because that would mean I would have to believe it myself. I didn't want to believe those graphic bloody images that kept replaying in my mind. I didn't want to believe what Michael called himself just before I bolted from the VIP room. This was all just a very bad, screwed up, twisted dream.

No, not a dream. A nightmare. Or better yet, some fictitious horror story I didn't ask to be a part of.

"Just get me out of here," I pleaded softly.