Red Eyed Monster or Hero?

Please bear with the multiple POVs in this chapter...and the blood. Yes, there's more blood. Don't forget to comment and vote. Enjoy!

(Michael)

An hour later, the four of us were on the roof of Astina Lobster Burrow. All of our eyes were currently red as our killer side drew closer to the surface. We were dressed alike in black Stuart Hughes Diamond Edition suits. Real diamonds were crested in the lapels, flaps, and hems of our blazers. We were required to wear the same things when we hunted as a group.

The way Mason perched himself on the edge of the building in a crouching position almost had him resembling a gargoyle as he stalked the long line of eager diners down below. His long hair, usually wild and free, was slicked and braided back.

Joseph stood close behind him, also peering below with a dark hunger. His blazer parted as he buried his hands in his pant pockets.

Marlon didn't stray too far from my side. We were the only two who hadn't scanned the people yet. I had my own reasons, but I wasn't sure why Marlon was hesitating. He had his back to our father and oldest brother as he focused solely on the zillion stars that cluttered the night. Although if I had to guess, I would say that his mind was on anything but stargazing. Something must have been bothering him.

Unfortunately, I had my own problems. I couldn't stop pacing. I kept my head down as I tried to calm down. I needed to hunt, to spill another poor person's blood for the one billionth time. Thinking back on Dawn's energy, I wondered if her touch could pacify me now. But there was the question of for how long. I shook the thought out of my head. Even if she could help, Dawn was at a church event. She wasn't even close enough to....

I halted and shot my head upright, my crimson eyes widening. "She's here," I whispered in confusion and shock.

Marlon was the only one who paid me any attention. He pulled his distracted gaze from the sky to look at me with a frowned. "Who?"

"Dawn," Mason answered him with a wayward grin curling his lips, not tearing his interest away from someone beneath us. He must have had eyes on her.

I quickly stepped over to him and looked down.

Dawn was waiting in line to go inside the lobster burrow. Her face was made up but not too much to take away from her natural attractiveness. When Dawn styled her twists in a high ponytail like she did now, you could see more of the warm glow that instinctively resided in her smooth brown skin. She wore eyeliner and mascara, and the pink sparkly lip gloss was an upgrade from the neutral one she always wore. Her dress was a pattern of green and white with a yellow belt in its center. The back hem almost touched her ankles while the front of it stopped just above her knees. A yellow sweater to match her belt kept her warm in the fifty-seven-degree air. Dawn finished her look with a pair of black ankle boots.

I took in everything about her, like I always did. I also took in the fact that Dawn was not where she said she would be. I also took notice of the two who accompanied her here. The girl with her was her cousin.

But the man....

Was someone I was most curious about.

The way Dawn made sure to keep Brielle standing between her and the male made me wonder if this was Alex.

I arched an eyebrow with even more curiosity. Why would Dawn be here with a man who made her uncomfortable? Had he forced her to come with him tonight?

I could see by the way he side-glanced Brielle that he hadn't wanted her to join them.

But Dawn did.