A New Reality

Sorry it's been so long. I've been dealing with a lot such as being six months pregnant and  having a high risk pregnancy , which means doctor appointments every two weeks and other things that are constantly demanding my attention. Hope I haven't lost any readers :) 

(Dawn)

I spent my Sunday in bed all day. I told Elijah I'd be missing church because I didn't feel well. I may not have been sick in the way I made him believe, but I was telling the truth. Dread wrapped me up tighter than my usually comfy cotton sheets. I loved my queen-sized bed, but today, and most of last night, it gave me no solace. Each time I thought about Drake, Soren, and Kei's bleeding dead bodies I became nauseous and tried to bury my face deeper into my pillows, hoping that would somehow wipe away the gruesome memories.

I also had to eventually turn off my phone. It had gotten cracked pretty badly yesterday on the concrete steps of the coffee shop, but it still managed to function. Although now, I had to deal with the unwanted spider web design splattered across my screen. However, that wasn't my reason for shutting it off.

Alex and Brie had been texting me non-stop. Alex offered to come by after service. To keep that from happening, I told him I just needed rest and would see him Thursday during choir practice, hoping that would pacify him. When I didn't respond to any of Brie's messages, she started calling. I declined the call, told her I was too tired to talk and would see her tomorrow on campus, and then finally powered off my phone.

Looking at my wounded device reminded me of how quickly Michael caught me in his arms yesterday before I could fall and embarrass myself in front of the coffee shop. His hold had been strong and protective. It hadn't felt anything like the arms of a monster.

I wished I could talk to someone about all of this, but Michael warned me not to tell a soul. Plus, there was the high risk of someone thinking I was crazy if I did decide to confide in someone. Although, a part of me wished that I really was crazy. Then, that would mean I had just imagined the whole thing.

"Are you sure you're not hungover?" My father's disapproving voice filed into the room. I hadn't heard him return home, too absorbed in my thoughts I supposed. "I know you'll be 21 in a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean you should—"

"I'm not hungover. Just not feeling well." I interrupted him, not removing my comforter from over my head as I spoke.

"Food poisoning?" He queried.

I sighed tiredly. "Don't worry, I'll be well enough to go to class tomorrow."

"Want to try some soup then?"

I made a face underneath the covers. I wasn't a big fan of soup. But I didn't voice my complaint because I knew Elijah just wanted to find a way to help me. "Sure," I said reluctantly.

"Alright. I'll go get started on it and leave your package on your nightstand."

Curiously, I brought my covers below my chin and peered at him. "What package?"

Elijah held up a medium cardboard box. "It was on our doorstep when I got home. It's got your name on it. Did you order something from Amazon?"

My last order had been months ago and I received it shortly after. It was a baking sheet specifically designed for homemade doughnuts. I couldn't recall ordering anything since then.

I sat up, took the package from him, and studied the shipping info. Like Elijah said, it had my full name and correct address on top. "Must have. Guess I forgot," I mumbled distractedly as I tried to force my brain to remember what I ordered.

Elijah made his exit and called back, "I'll give you a shout when the soup is ready."

I gently shook the box and heard something hard rattling inside. After prying it open, I paused. It was a much-updated version of my current screen-shattered smart phone. The thing was brand spanking new! I was more confused than ever. I just messed up my phone yesterday and didn't have a chance to order a replacement. So...how in the world....?