four. the performance

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 ─ the performance,

───────────────

Merlyn had been spoiled by both the Lady Morgana and Guinevere whilst the three prepared one another for the ball and opera performance that was to be given by the Lady Helen.

After Guinevere had helped Morgana into the alluring crimson gown, she styled her hair, Morgana's dark locks were up in a messy do with two thick strands framing her pale, angular face. Guinevere had also detailed some small yet effective gems the same colour as Morgana's dress to her eyes in order to highlight and further emphasise the lady in waiting's beauty. As a last embellishment Morgana held a scarlet shawl that settled in her bent elbows and dripped low, just above the end of her spine.

"Now you," teased Morgana, standing from her chair and gesturing for Merlyn to sit down in her place.

"Oh no, that's not necessary - you've already loaned me such a beautiful dress," replied Merlyn, shaking her head.

"Given."

"Given?" Merlyn repeated, her voice elevating towards the end of the word, anxiety finding its way into her heart.

"Yes, I've given you a dress, and now we are going to do your hair," stated Morgana as if it was as obvious as the sky was blue before gesturing to Guinevere who held several hair supplies.

The two women almost had to wrestle Merlyn onto the gold-encrusted seat but after their demands that she sit still, she complied with reluctance, but not ungratefully - she felt unworthy, undeserving even.

Both Morgana and Gwen had taken turns styling Merlyn's hair, and she hadn't liked any of the styles they'd created, that was, until Guinevere had braided her ember locks neatly and tied it off with a band that matched her hair colour. A few lengthy, loose strands were neatly tucked behind her ears and she was told to go and change into the plum dress.

Merlyn listened to the demands of the women and when she emerged from behind the screen and faced the mirror, her own breath was taken away, she had truly never felt so beautiful. Her hair was out of her face and the dress fit perfectly, lightly highlighting her endowed figure - Merlyn felt a warmth in her chest as she peered at herself in the mirror and with that she made an internal note to make more of an effort if that's what it felt like. Swishing the dress around her body, Merlyn felt her cheeks begin to ache with the force of her grin.