five. the knight

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ─ the knight,

───────────────

Having only been Arthur's maid-servant for two weeks or so, Merlyn was still learning what she could and couldn't get away with whilst in the presence of the king - she had made a note that calling his future heir to the throne a prat, was not one of them. Despite the uncrowned prince and the young sorceress having got off on the wrong foot, they seemed less hostile than when they had first met - often, insults and taunts were still tossed between the two but the imminent threat that they would begin to brawl had somewhat disappeared. Merlyn had suspected that if the confrontational behaviour didn't cease both of their lives would become a recreation of hell itself because they were practically (and reluctantly) joined at the hip every hour of every day.

Since she began her work as Arthur's maid-servant, she'd been given well made dresses, they weren't elegant or fanciful of course but the fabrics were soft against her skin and fit perfectly, Merlyn knew she only received them because she had to look presentable when she was around Arthur. She quite enjoyed them, they were plain but pretty, perfect for Merlyn who preferred to stay out of the spotlight, her favourite was the one she donned most frequently - it was almost similar to the ones she previously owned but these were much more precious. Its colour was that of vivid cerulean, the fabric like silk against her body and the design was similar to those of Guinevere's, the neckline dipped to just above Merlyn's bust and the sleeves fit tight against her up until her elbows where the fabric fanned out and created a sweeping motion. The dress had a lace up corset bodice on the front that was to be tied with a silver strip of fabric and formed a pretty bow by the cinched waist, after that, the soft material became looser and more free flowing, creating a small empire gown effect.

Within the two weeks, Merlyn had also been taught basic etiquette by both the Lady Morgana and Guinevere so that she wouldn't embarrass herself in social situations with other royals or those of noble descent whilst tending to Arthur. She'd had lessons in how to perform a good and proper curtsy - bending her knees and bowing her head as a sign of respect - those lessons took a good few days because Merlyn simply wasn't made for submitting to every man or royal that crossed her path. Her respect was supposed to be earned. In short, each and everyone of the lessons Merlyn had had to endure were nothing short of excruciating so when she was awoken at the very crack of dawn by Sir Leon rapping against the door to her chambers, with the request that she was to meet Arthur on the training grounds - she felt a grin creep onto her face.