Chapter 9

Mark and I were walking downtown. I had to admit, Mark seemed out of place down here. This was my home. This is what I was used to...roughly. I saw a lot of homeless around here. But it also seemed like Mark didn't see them. I zoned out, thinking that I almost became one of these people. They have probably been months without showers, days without food. This scared me. If Mark hadn't come around, I'd be...one of them. 

I looked over at Mark. I realized he was only a couple inches taller than me. I don't really know why that mattered, or why I saw that, but I did. My brother was taller than me. I realize that. I realized Mark was becoming my brother. He took care of me. He made sure I was okay. He was my only..."friend." Maybe I don't have to leave. Maybe I can stay around...hopefully Mark doesn't kick me out. 

"Hey, Bob." I snapped out of my thoughts and noticed Mark was on the phone. I wasn't gonna be nosey, but I was going to be nosy. I tried to act like I wasn't listening, but I was getting quiet enough so I could hear the other side of the conversation as well. "Yeah, I got a favor to ask you."

The voice on the other was a bit hard to hear and deep, but I could still make out some words, "Mark, is this about that girl, Legan you've been talking about? Is she your new girlfriend or something?" 

Mark chuckled, "No. I need an ID card made."

"Uh...Mark? What are you doing with this girl?" 

"Oh, don't worry. She's legal. Just need to add a couple more years to her card. We need to celebrate." 

There was silence for a second before "Bob" responded, "Fine. Just be careful. I don't wanna see you on the news or in jail for something." 

"Yeah, thanks. Don't worry, I'll be careful." 

"It'll be done in about 30 minutes." 

"Thanks, Bob." Mark hung up the phone and looked over at me with a smile, "You heard that didn't you?" 

I nodded, not trying to hide how smart either of us are at this point, "Are you trying to get me a new card? What would we use it for?"

Mark smirked with an evil smile. I couldn't handle it. I had to look away. Mark took my hand and pulled me into a building. And if I was right, this was a clothes store. I stuttered, "c-c-clothes? What are we doing in a clothes store?"

I looked around and this place had thousands of clothes on racks. This was too much to take in. The only time I've honestly been in a store is when I'm stealing something. Luckily, I haven't been in this store before, but I really hope there isn't a bounty on my head from the other stores I've been in. I looked around the walls, and there isn't a picture of my face on them. Great. Mark pulled out his wallet and gave me his credit card. I marveled at it. 

Mark turned to the brown-haired woman behind the counter, "Help her buy three pair of outfits that look great on her. If she likes them all, then I'll give you a tip of $200. Do I make myself clear?"

Both me and woman simply stared at Mark. Was he serious? "Uh...Mark?" He looked at me and winked. I guess he wanted me to just go with it because I was just gonna be as shocked as the woman behind the counter. 

"I'm serious. Now get to work. I'll be back in about 45 minutes." Then Mark turned to me, "If they do something you're not comfortable with, tell them. If they keep going. Tell me and I'll have them fired." My jaw was basically just on the floor. I nodded and Mark smiled. The woman jumped over the counter and greeted me with a smile. 

"Welcome, have you ever been here before? Are you looking for anything in particular? About we start with something like jeans? Oh! I know what would look great on you!" The woman grabbed my and pulled me to the back in the ocean of clothes. 

Mark waved as he stood next to the door, not being pulled everywhere. "Have fun!" 

What is going through Mark's head? 

-----------------------

35 minutes passed and I was in a long-sleeved orange shirt that tightened around my curves and dark blue jeans that, honestly, made my ass look great. The woman came back in, I learned her name was Karen, and she gasped. "Oh, my gawd! You look amazing in that! No lie! Do you like it?" 

I nodded. I honestly did like it. It looked like it was made for me. I turned around in it. "It's great." I smiled. 

Karen squealed with delight and handed me a red, silk dress that came down to my thighs. She's been throwing clothes at me ever since Mark left. And I've been enjoying myself, getting new clothes. Looking good for once and feeling pretty. I kinda wanted to do this more often. I'm never used to having money to do this. But now with Mark, I can do this a lot. 

I put on the dress and twirled around in it. Looked cute on me, I had to admit, maybe Mark would like it too. I nodded at Karen, "This is amazing! Thank you!" I hugged her. I was so happy and excited to show Mark. 

I paid for my stuff and just as I paid, Mark walked in. I turned towards Mark and he simply smiled and gasped. I hugged Mark tightly, I was so happy. I got something new and I was glad to be wearing this dress. Mark looked me up and down and turned towards Karen and handed her her giant tip. "Looks like you really like it." Mark joked. 

"I love it. Thank you so much, Mark." I couldn't be happier. I've never been happier. I leaned up and kissed his cheek I was so happy. Then, I stopped. I just realized what I just did. It's like I'm acting on impulse. This hasn't happened before. But I still felt it was right. 

Mark gently blushed, but tried to play it off, but I saw it. "Come on, Legan. Let's go celebrate." I was excited to see what Mark was planning. Surprises were the best now. I was too excited to contain myself. I ran out the door.