Chapter 14

Mark and I were at Waffle House eating our food. I had to say, the food had came out fast and it was good too. Mark had order an All-Star Special, and I had ordered just some buttermilk waffles, hash brown and bacon. I had torn through my hash brown and bacon, and was currently on my second waffle, about to be done with it. 

Mark had finished before me and laid back in his seat with a burp. I smiled and giggles. Mark had smiled back. We seemed to put all of last night behind us and agreed to act like it didn't happen. I was fine with that. But there was a subject I had to address him on, "Hey, Mark?" I continued to look down at my plate, not wanting to look him in the eyes at the moment. 

"C-could I live with you...Until I'm going where I need to go...c-cause I don't really have any place to go. I...I just need a while...p-please..." 

Mark smiled, "Of course. Stay as long as you need. Having some company would be nice, instead of living alone anymore. 

I smiled. "Thanks." I finished my plate and sat back in my seat. Now, I was full and comfortable. Maybe living with Mark really isn't gonna be that bad. 

"But I do have to know about one thing first, and I hate to ask, but....I kinda need to know." I sighed and nodded. I had a feeling of what it was gonna be, but I'd do anything to stay with Mark. He's too much like my brother honestly. I just don't wanna leave from him. "How did your brother die?" 

I swallowed. Oh the infamous question. What a joy to answer. I simply sighed and looked down at the table, recalling what happened that day. "Me and Trey were walking home from school that day. It was Friday and I couldn't wait to get home..."

"Slow down, Legan. We'll be home in a few minutes." Trey told me as I was crossing the street in a hurry. 

I turned back to him and gave him a bitchy look, "It's Friday, Trey. You know Friday is a bad day to be out in the open like this. I'd rather be inside and deal with Mom that be out here." Trey slowly and calmly walked behind me. I rolled my eyes. He was the one that got me paranoid to be outside on a Friday. 

Everyone was paranoid. I was getting really antsy. We needed to get home. Now. "Don't be so worried, Legan. It's just a silly rumor." 

"A silly rumor?" Now I was getting pissed. "When is it ever just a rumor?" 

Trey had crossed the street and stood in front of me. "Just the other day." 

I barked at him, "Well remember Jeremy? That one boy from my Junior class last year? He's dead now because of the 'rumor'. I'm not taking any chances and neither are you." 

Trey put a hand on my shoulder, "Relax, Legan. Nothing's gonna happen to us. I promise." 

Almost on time, a silver SUV came barreling around the corner. It caught both of our attention. I had a bad gut feeling. Something was going down. I know it. I just knew it was the LA East Gang. They had a thirst for blood. 

I gripped onto Trey, wanting him to get out already. Trey didn't move, but he was pushing me down to the ground. He saw something I couldn't. He was focusing right on it. "Get down." Trey whispered harshly. "Now." 

I got down like Trey said, not doing it without question, but I was able to use my time to survey the area. I looked in front of me and saw another gang member that lived a couple doors down from us. He wasn't part of the LA East, but he always caused trouble with them. I looked back at the SUV and saw something silver pointed out of one of the windows. I knew what was happening. I put it together. 

"Trey!" I yelled. As the gang past us, they started to fire. I don't know why Trey didn't get down when he could. He had at least five seconds. 

I watched helpless as my brother fell to the ground. His head was only inches away. I heard another thump and it was my neighbor. Him I didn't exactly care about because my brother was coughing and twitching. 

I waited until the SUV was all the way down the street and had already turned until I rushed to my brother's side and put his head on my legs as I sat next to him. Tears were pouring out of my eyes. There was blood pouring out of his abdomen. I tried to put my hands over it and tried to stop the bleeding. My brother simply looked up at me with lifeless eyes, but he was still coughing. So he was still alive. 

"Le-....Legan...." He breathed. 

I was breathing hard, "Don't you give up. Don't you fucking give up on me, Trey. Come on. Me and you through thick and thin! Don't fucking give up on me!" I tried to stop the bleeding by putting more pressure, but it wasn't working. My hands simply were just getting bloodier and bloodier. It wasn't working. I yelled to the bystanders, "Fucking call someone! Don't fucking stand there!" Some people got out their phones and started dialing, but everyone else simply watched. 

"I....I love you...Always...Always remember that....Le-....Legan...." Trey's muscles went limp. His entire body went limp. 

I panicked. "Trey! Don't! You promised! You fucking promised! Don't fucking leave me! Trey!" 

He wasn't responding anymore. I didn't feel a heartbeat. He was gone. He died so quickly. I tried to apply pressure. I tried to keep him alive, but he just didn't. I couldn't believe what happened. I simply started balling on my brother's dead body. Hoping that he'd wake up and comfort me. Telling me everything's gonna be alright. Promising me that it's us through thick and thin. "You promised." I whispered to myself.

I realized that there was a tear or two that was running down my cheek. I didn't realize I was crying. I simply retold the story. Mark gripped my thigh in comfort. It helped, mostly because I was mostly over my brother. I know he's still with me, but it just hurts that he could never hug me again. My brother's dead. I'm simply trying to accept that. 

Mark called to the waitress, "Check, please."