2-Animal Instinct

Suddenly something has happened to me
As I was having my cup of tea

I slept until the morning after, skipping the dinner, so I went straight to the kitchen, feeling hungry, to prepare pancakes for everyone. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw was Miles, shirtless as usual, sitting in my spot, eating jam directly from the jar with his long fingers.

-Good morning sleeping ugliness!- he chirped cheerfully.

-After seeing ya I doubt it will be a good day.

-Guys, enough!- said my mother putting a hand on my forehead to check my temperature- I thought ya were ill: ya slept all day!

-I was just tired.

I sat in the kitchen, preparing breakfast and I didn't turn to them until they were all gone down in the basement.

I couldn't stand ​​having Miles as a flat mate: in my house there were no keys at the doors, and the idea that he could enter freely while I was changing clothes, or worse, while I washed myself, was terribly annoying. Every time I went to the bathroom or when I was in my room, I stuck the door with a chair, and so far all my precautions had been enough, even though I was always terrified of opening a door and finding him naked.

I took my books and went to study in the library, aware that at home I would not do anything; I was convinced that I was finally able to pull a little and in fact, I spent the whole morning to prepare the report on the books I had read, without any problem.

Leaving the library, I met a girl who was attending my own lecture course on crime fiction; I decided to have lunch with her and while we waited to be served, she read what I had written. She immersed herself in reading, then she gave me the sheets back, dreamily.

-Alex I'd really like to have your own capacity for synthesis and analysis: your reports are always perfect!

-Thanks a million!

-But I think there is a mistake here. Who is Miles? I don't remember any character with this name.

I gave a quick look at the sheets and I realized with horror that every time that I should write "Mark", I wrote "Miles", deceived by the same initial.

-It is me hamster- I lied, blushing to the roots of the hair.

My good mood, already ruined by that incident, deteriorated further as soon as I set foot in the house for dinner.

-I was thinking- my father began- that tonight ya can go out with your friends and bring Miles to the pub with ya for a few scoops.

-Don't even mention him! He's a plank!

-Alex, don't be rude. Miles is our guest, ya have the same age, and I don't see why ya shouldn't go out with him.

-Because I don't like him!

-Sour grapes!- and with this unbearable cliché, my mother put an end to the discussion.

I realised that the evening out would have been a disaster, when I went to take the car that I shared with my brother and I found it completely without fuel: it always ended that way every time Johnny used it.

I went to my father to get the keys of his car, but he had the brilliant idea to get me to take the van, an old Volkswagen van t1 we used when we moved with the band; a real scrap on four wheels which in the hands of my brother and the other two, became a landfill.

-Nice Hippies van!- Miles exclaimed, when he saw it.

-Shut up and get in!

But once inside, his enthusiasm grew and his talking too. He turned to look at the back of the van that we had set up with mattresses, so the boys could rest when they returned from concerts, and he immediately flashed mischievously with his eyes.