Chapter 7 The Tree

You woke up that morning in Mark's bed. What happened last night? You lay in bed recollecting last nights events. You had went on a double date with your sister and Tom. It was now official that you and Mark were dating. That was the best part.

After that, you'd came back to his house and fallen asleep while watching a movie. The sound of a drum echoed in your memory.

You get out of bed and go downstairs. Mark is no where to be found. "Mark," you call. You walk up the stairs again and see the bathroom door is closed. He must be in there.

Moments later, he comes out of the bathroom in a towel. "Good morning, beautiful," he gives you a quick kiss. This is a lot to take in for someone who just woke up. You've been called beautiful, got a kiss from your now boyfriend, and let's not forget about his chiseled physique. His abs were on full display. You never realized how muscular he actually was.

He walks past you into his bedroom, coming out a couple minutes later wearing real clothes. You're somewhat disappointed that his abs have gone. "Why did I sleep in your bed last night? I though I passed out on the couch with you," you question him. "I didn't want you to sleep on the couch so I carried you upstairs and put you in the bed. I stayed down here on the couch," his teeth make an appearance from his crescent shaped lips.

"You didn't have to do that. It's your bed. I would've been just fine on the couch," you feel guilty for taking away his bed from him.

"I didn't have to, but I wanted to," he looks into your eyes, you can almost hear the words he wants to say.

You change the subject, "well I probably need to go back home and put on some real clothes." He looks a little disappointed, "can I go with you? After you change I want to take you somewhere." Him and his surprises. Two in one month. Something tells you he'll always find ways to surprise you.

You don't detest his idea, so you allow him to come. Before you leave his apartment, you change out of his clothes and into your dress from last night, having Mark help you with the zipper again.

Once home, you changed into jeans and a thin long sleeve shirt. You tell him you're ready to go, and hop in the car. "So can you tell me where we're going this time?" you ask. "Nope. I'm afraid that information is top secret," he says in an unusually deep voice. "Ugh. I just want to know," you whine, "the only thing that'll make it up to me is if you talk with that voice the rest of the way there," you hint at him. "Fine, but only because I like you," his voice deep and smooth.

It was about two in the afternoon when Mark finally stopped the car. It felt like you were on the road forever, but you doubted it was even thirty minutes. You looked around after stepping gout of the car and closing the door, it was very open fields. Tall grasses growing up to your knees as far as the eye can see. In the far distance you can see a line of trees that your assuming stretched behind it's visibility for as long as the grasses did.

"Mark, this place is gorgeous. How did you find it?" you ask, still looking around. "I have no idea. I told you to get in the car and I just drove. No specific location in mind. I figured we'd stop here since it was so amazing."

You notice a large tree in the middle of all the grasses, spread far away from the line of them in the distance. "I bet I'll beat you to that tree," you say getting ready to run. "Huh?" he says. You don't fill him in before counting down, "3...2...1!"

You take off running. Seconds later Mark realizes what you're doing. You make it to the tree first. When he gets there, he runs at you with open arms and picks you up by the waist and spins you around, "you cheater!" You laugh, "Mark, put me down!" He puts you back down with two feet planted flat.

You look up at the tree. It's leaves are gone. Not a single one left. It's branches still extend tall and wide. It makes a perfect globe around the large trunk. He sees you admiring it, "it really is something. Not near as beautiful as you though." "Aww Mark stop it," you playfully elbow him. "I'm serious you know," he smiles at you, "you really are beautiful. Probably the most beautiful girl in the whole world." You blush and smile at the ground.

He puts a finger under your chin and pulls you up to look at him, "I love it when you blush," he pulls you in for a kiss. You wrap your arms around his neck and his go to your waist. There's the fireworks again. You hope they never go away. Whenever fireworks came, they brought the butterflies to your stomach, as well.

Admiring the tree, he leaned his back against it and you say in his lap leaning your head against him chest, hearing the pounding of his heart. You two sat there for hours, just talking. You may have just rambled on and on but he listened and hung to your every word. This man really does like you. How'd you get so lucky?

You two stayed there until the sun left. The shades of oranges, pinks, purples and yellows made the distant trees look like nothing but silhouettes. You and Mark watched the sun wave goodbye. Then, got back in the car and headed back home. You decided to stay at Mark's again. You could just sleep in the clothes you have on.

When you got back, you were both already exhausted. It was only about 8:30 but you decided to go to sleep. You saw Mark set the pillow and blanket on the couch. When he walks to the bathroom, you take them and put them away. When he comes back he looks confused, "did you take my pillow and blanket?" he asks you. "I didn't take them. I did put them up, though. I was thinking you could sleep in the bed, it is your bed anyway."

"I don't want you sleeping on the couch though," you raised an eyebrow at him. He wasn't getting what you were trying to say. "Mark, I won't sleep on the couch either," you tell him. His face has a look of understanding now. "Are you sure?" he asks. You nod and take his hand, walking up the stairs.

You lay in bed with him and just cuddle. Your head on his heart again. You love hearing that sound. "Thank you for today," you say. "I didn't do anything."

There was a long pause, "(f/n)?" "Yeah," you say sleepily. "You can hear my heart right now can't you?" You nod slightly. "It beats for you," you hear it slow down as he dozes off. You follow him into the dream world.