Chapter 12 On The Hunt

December 25. You and Mark are spending your first Christmas in the same house. You have already went to his Mom's house and your parents house. No more traveling. You can sit back and relax now.

You and Mark agreed not to do gifts. You had compromised and said that the house was a gift to each other. Knowing him, you still had some suspicions.

You both woke up at 8 that morning. You went downstairs to make breakfast but he stopped you, "I've gotta go out anyway, I'll bring something back. I'll find some place that's open." You don't argue, it's Christmas. He stops you in the doorway, looking upward. Mistletoe. "I can't argue with tradition," you say as you put your hands in his hair and pull him close. The explosions of fireworks can be heard all around.

About an hour later, he returns with some breakfast. You take your time eating. After your finished you throw away the garbage and see an envelope on the table when you turn back around, "what is that?" Mark is looking off in another direction whistling when he flashes back to reality, "oh, that, I don't know. Open it and see."

You give him the evil eye, "we said we weren't doing gifts," you mumbled under your breath, he still managed to hear it. "It's not a gift so I'm not breaking any rules," he give you a quick peck on the cheek and hurries upstairs. You finish opening the envelope. You unfold the piece of paper inside. It's a note written in his handwriting.

I saw your eyes from across the way,

We danced here as a special song play

"Mark!" You call, "what is this?" "I can't help you. You've gotta figure it out," you groan. Then it hits you, it's a scavenger hunt. You have to figure it out. "I'm leaving now, Mark. Love you," you call to him, walking out the door. You get in the car and immediately know where to go. Sitting on the console, is a CD with a post it note on it.

Play this during your hunt.

You put it in and begin to drive. I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz was the first song. You wonder what other songs he could've possibly put on there.

After a short drive you made it to the reception hall where your sister's wedding had been. In the parking lot, you see your sister standing outside of her car. You run up to her and hug her. She tears up slightly when she sees you. She's got an envelope in her hand. She hands it to you, "read it."

Our first date was at this sign,

The view from there was just fine

You read it out loud. Your sister looking confused. You instantly know where to go. The Hollywood sign.

You hug (s/n) goodbye and you're off again. You drive up the hill and to the parking lot. There you find your mom.

You give her a hug, just as you did your sister. She hands you another envelope.

Our paths began to blend,

When you became my girlfriend

Hmm. That one's tricky. You think for several minutes before it hits you. The restaurant where you went on the double date with your sister and Tom.

You drive there. The CD had run out of songs so it started the loop over again. There was one song missing, Kiss Me. How had he forgotten that song?

When you pull into the restaurant, you see your dad. You give him a big hug and see his eyes are red. He looks like he's just been crying. It's heartbreaking, "are you okay, dad? You look like you've been crying." "I'm fine, sweetheart," his face lights up with a smile.

He hands you another envelope. You read the paper inside.

It may be dead,

But it'd be the perfect place to wed

You instantly know where to go. You tell you dad goodbye and get in the car. This is why Mark made it a point to teach you how to get there by yourself.

Then the last word hits you. Wed. You'd talked about getting married at your tree. It'd be a dream come true.

After driving for a while, you get there. You see Mark's car parked beside the old tree. You shut the car off and hear music playing from his. It's the missing song.

You get out and walk over to it. He's not in his car. You direct your attention over to the tree. You see Mark standing there in a tux. He smiles at you. You walk over to him, "Mark," you wrap your arms around his neck, "this wild goose chase had me missing you."

"You won't have to worry about that again," he says. You let go and he takes your hands in his. "(F/n), I love you. You never have to doubt that. I know I'm goofy and a little crazy. I'm not perfect but I'll do my best to be everything you deserve and more," his eyes tearing up just as much as yours, "dammit, this is harder than I thought it'd be." You chuckled.

He put his hand on his heart, "this beats for you. Always have, always will," he bends down on one knee and reaches into his jacket, "(F/n) (l/n), will you do me the honor of marrying me?" You can't fight the tears back anymore. They come pouring out. "Yes," you choke out. He slides the ring on your finger. It's exactly what you told him. He stands up, you almost knock him off balance because you kissed him so quickly and hard.

"I love you so much (f/n)," he does his famous half smile. "I love you, too, Mark. You'll never know."