Gandalf is Saruman? How Does That Work?

"Do not let him speak!" Aragorn ordered. "He will put a spell on us." He wrapped his hand around the hilt of his sword, Gimli tightened his hold on his axe, and Legolas fingered the fletching of an arrow. We turned to attack but were blinded by white light. However, Legolas' arrow and Gimli's axe were deflected, and Aragorn dropped his sword as it heated up, becoming red. Mine also burned in my grip, but I refused to drop it. I could handle a burn.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits," the wizard said in Saruman's voice.

"Where are they?!" I demanded, scowling as the sword grew ever hotter in my grip.

"They passed this way, the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" No. It most certainly did not. Then again, if that someone was an Ent... he might have helped them.

"Who are you?! Show yourself!" Aragorn demanded. The sword grew still hotter in my hand. I gritted my teeth. Then, with a soft grunt from the wizard, it suddenly reverted to its usual cool temperature and the glow dissipated, revealing Gandalf, clad in... white?! Legolas bowed before him, Gimli following. Aragorn and I remained standing. "It cannot be!" Aragorn said in disbelief.

"Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman," Legolas said, still kneeling.

"I am Saruman. Saruman as he should have been." What?! I... had no idea how that worked.

"You fell!" I accused."

"Through fire. And water," he responded. "From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth." He killed the Balrog? All my life, I had thought the Balrogs were gone. In Moria, I was proved otherwise. I had grown up on tales of Ecthelion of the Fountain, who slew Gothmog, Captain of the Balrogs... and Glorfindel, who also slew a Balrog... Glorfindel, who I had known since I was a small child, who had taught me swordplay. Now one of my closest friends had slain one. "Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."

"Gandalf!" Aragorn said. Behind us, Legolas and Gimli stood up.

"Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name."

"Gandalf!" Gimli repeated.

"I am Gandalf the White." He paused. "And I come back to you, now, at the turn of the tide."

Gandalf led us out of the forest. Striding along the fringe of the woods, he said, "One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras? That is no short distance!" I exclaimed. Edoras was a long distance from the borders of Fangorn Forest.

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Aragorn glanced at Gandalf.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured," Gandalf replied.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested..." The trees began to rumble. Gimli cleared his throat. "I mean charming, quite charming forest."

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn," Gandalf said, looking back at us. "A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"In one thing you have not changed, old friend," I said, leaning close to Gandalf.

"Hmm?" he inquired, tilting his head.