chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

He stared out the window with whisky in his hand. At the back of his head something was nagging and laughing at him. This had been his calling but he lost touch with reality. Many things had happened, most he couldn't even understand. The year had been terribly difficult to understand.

The bells to the chapel sounded. He was confused, mostly drank. He got his collar, the only symbol of his priestly hood. HE had been a priest for 35 years and the last he had lost touch with the Holy Spirit, how can maintain it when he has lived through so many death and grievances. His whole family was killed in the civil war that he survived through. He had outlived many other people. He was living in a corrupt world; the rulers only cared about themselves. The powerful killed the powerless for their selfish desires. God can allow suffering why not a bottle of whisky. At the age of 72, his head was white; his face was fallen symbolizing his hardship as a youth. HIS youthful love for god had died.

He walked out of the room into the church hall. He was to marry off the couple standing in the church. He was drowsy and tired. He didn't want to disturb them; it was such a perfect site to see. HE called them.

..................................................................................................................................

ELIZABETH Sinclair daughter of a merchant was to be wed to the duke of straithern. It was a perfect union so her father thought. She however thought otherwise. He was infuriating, she told her mother. Her father couldn't hear it this was their only way to revive his business for the duke had promised him so much money. She thought of him as a boastful individual with so much wealth, his posture represented someone who got whatever he desired. HIS youth was neglecting him. HE was twice her age. HE ate like a starved pig. He had clearly told her father that he needed a woman to bear him an heir. A good looking companion, she fit the description perfectly. She wanted nothing to do with him.

Her feelings to this marriage were not regarded. AS others envied her for being lucky to be chosen by duke she was disgusted.

"You will learn to love and appreciate him, Liz." Her mother had told her. She was never going to love such an arrogant man.

UNFORTUNATELY they left her with no choice but run. She was running from the duke and her family. She wanted to get far away before her father announces for her disappearance. She was running from the home she had known as her own for her whole life. She adored her parents but she couldn't stay whilst the duke proclaimed his intentions of marrying her.

As a result she was standing in the chapel all by herself, she cherished this place, and it brought salvation for disobeying her parents. She felt safe and sound. Until the doors bust open, the light she didn't realize was flowing inside. She couldn't really see who it was. Her concentration was being overshadowed by the bright light. Her heart was racing, she was panicking. Have they found out her hiding place was these how her plan was going to end. She was giving a silent prayer, asking for help. SHE wanted to run but she couldn't, she stayed glued to the spot. WAS this man sent by her father? Or duke? SHE was doomed. He came to a view sight. THERE in her midst stood the most handsome man, her heart was racing and this time not because of fear. His whole outfit screamed wealth.

THE sound of the chapel bells brought her back to reality. What was she doing admiring a man? One she didn't even know. She was never an improper woman and she was not going to start acting like one. Even as she looked away, the man's features where still tormenting her.

He walked closer to her. SHE didn't want him to come closer, she was afraid. HE was too much to be real. SHE lost all her senses when he stopped right in front of her. SHE couldn't breathe. His scent, that of woodsy and mint and somewhere in between a spicy scent. WHAT WAS he going to do to her?

"Come forward, we begin"

The voice of the priest was like music to her ears. He rescued her from this perfect made stranger but then begin what? His confusion was clearly written on his face. This was confusing to her. Unfortunately she couldn't bring herself to be scared of this handsome made stranger

.................................................................................................

MARQUES ROBERSONS was riding his horse into town, he was visit the duke his 3 days journey had been terrible. His brothers had teased him of his unlucky with women. HERE he was running away from them, in a race he was definitely winning. HIS BROTHERS would never keep up with his fast horse. HE was happy and carefree, he suddenly felt like he had wings, the cool breeze felt so good against his skin.

REACHING town was not so hard; this town was not as big as his home town. He had come to straithern topay they heart felt congratulations, for they heard he was to wed a beautiful young lady. Less than a day of staying in the town when they heard the duke's bride was missing. His brothers had endlessly teased the duke.

"It's of no surprise to hear about the duke" Andrew had started. They all sat at the diner take partaking in their morning meal.

"No young and beautiful lady wants to marry a pig." James had commented.

The two young men had pleasure in the dukes suffering.

"Brother, he is short and fat"

"And ugly"

"His face is so big like he was bitten by bees" they laughter was too much. How these two enjoyed such was beyond him.

"He can't possibly be that bad, Andrew." Marques defended.

"Have you seen him of late?"

"His belly is so big; trust me no woman would want to bed such a man"

"Why make up things?" marques said. Clearly this topic cannot get better for them.

"We say nothing but the truth, marques"

"Shall we then have a morning run, last one feeds the horses"

Marques said.

"Where to?"

"The chapel"

"Chapel!"

"How about going to brothel?" James suggested. He was already out of the door.

"Clearly our brother is going mad" Andrew said racing after marques.

Marque was out of the diner running towards his horse. This was his only option to get them to stop talking. He had left him behind; they were never going to find him now. He loved his young brothers even with the constant teasing. He went everywhere with them, only with issues concerning the earldom, he left them.

He had been riding for some time when he disembarked from his horse upon seeing the chapel. It looked old like it had seen its good days and bad days.

The structure was an old version, nothing fancy was left to it. He had been here before but he was a little boy. It was so dusty showing off its lack of a care taker. It was like no attention was paid towards it.

There was suddenly this sense of peace to it.

Upon entering, there stood a beautiful if not magnificent lady. She was an angel, not in his life has met anyone with so much beauty. It was an exquisite beauty. Her posture exclaimed elegance. This was it, he had died. He knew he shouldn't have ridden that horse too much, much worse with his eyes closed. But why was the gods, whoever they were giving him the sight of an angel? Did he deserve to be in heaven? His heart was racing as he went closer to her, if he could just touch her.

Not even the sound of ringing chapel bells brought him out of revere. Was he being judged for all the things he did? Surely he didn't believe in God, so wasn't he supposed to go to a fiery place? He had expected his fate when people cursed him; even as he stood he accepted fate. Then he heard that voice that everyone had brutally reminded him of. This was it. But he did not turn to see who and how the person talking looked.