Food

2 years later

Val

I woke up and quickly got dressed

I woke up and quickly got dressed. Daddy kicked me out so I was in a random apartment. Actually apartment was just me being nice. I really should call it a safety hazard.

This apartment was just ratty old tents hung up on a useless wire 6 feet off the ground. "Hey!! Val!!!" Someone yelled. I look out from the huge hole in the bottom of the tent. It's a miracle I didn't fall through that. I took a marker and wrote the words "look up" on a rock before throwing it through the hole. It hit my sister in the head. "Are you seriously in the tents again?" She asked.

"Daddy threw me out and I don't know how to get down," I state. "Climb out of the tent," she said. If I die I hope my mom finds out and blames herself for it because it'd be her fault for sending me here.

I throw my pajamas out the hole as mal held them and I climb onto the wire and crawl across it until I get to the ladder. Then I climb down and hug Mal. "I've got you, you'll never be hurt again," she promised. I doubt it.

"Why did you go in the tents?" Mal asked. "I tried to go to the bunkhouse but all the beds were full and so was the floor, so I went to the one on the south but that was all filled too," I say. "What about the one at pirates bay?" Mal asked. "They had an empty bed and I got to it but then one of the big kids pushed me out the window and then they threw things at me," I say disappointed.

"Okay so I'm gonna head off for a score why dont you go get you something to eat," Mal suggested.  "I want creamy chunks!!" I yell as I storm to the front of the line at the slop shop. "Ya got money kid?" The goblin asked. "Maybe I do, you won't find out til ya get me what I want," I tell him. The goblin placed a cup of the rotten fruit in front of me so I grab it and run.

Creamy Chunks were just old bananas mixed with mashed up old food and milk so old it turned into some creamy shit. When you mix it  in the grimy plastic cup long enough you'll find that  eventually it will have taste bearable enough for someone to actually eat. I was mixing it with the cinnamon packet Persephone gave me on her last trip to the underworld. One thing I learned is that cinnamon can usually make anything taste better.

"Vally!!" I hear as I pass a building... if you could call it that. It's really just a bunch of old shacks, houses, and tents haphazardly placed on top of each other. Inside one of the tents was Jay. "Jay!!!" I yell. He climbed down carefully and fell into step with me. "Hey can I have some Vally?" Jay asked. I shook my head. Then the cup was snatched out of my hand. "Thanks," Mal said. I smile and snatch the cup back. Mal and I have been sharing our food since I was four.

Mal and Jay are like older siblings especially since Mal is my actual older sister and Jay is two years older. Being six years old on the isle sucks, you get pushed around by all the older kids, you get the worst shit, and the only people who fear you are people younger than you or your age.